Last month I was in Chicago to attend my niece’s first birthday. The food for the party was catered from an Indian restaurant. My aunt wanted to make something at home for the party, her own touch for her first grand child’s, first birthday. For a gathering of 70-80 people, what would be easier than chocolate strawberries. Kids love it and so do adults. She and I got to work in the afternoon, on the day of the party. We experimented a little and finally prepared the chocolate strawberries in time for the party. It wasn’t much of a work nor were we exhausted with the preparation. We just wanted everyone to love it and it was a super hit. Ever since I got back from Chicago, I wanted to try it at home and finally today is the day.
Total Time: 2 ½ hours
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Setting Time: 2 hours
- 16 oz Strawberries
- 1 cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1-2 tsp Vegetable Oil
- ¼ cup White Chocolate chips for decoration(opt)
- Wash the strawberries and pat dry with paper towel.
- Line a cookie sheet or a platter with wax paper
- In a microwave safe bowl, take the semi-sweet chocolate chips and heat it for 1 minute.
- Remove from microwave, add vegetable oil and mix well until the chips are completely melted.
- Dip each strawberry in the melted chocolate so that 3/4ths of the strawberry is coated.
- Put it on the wax paper and continue dipping all the strawberries.
- In a separate microwave safe bowl, melt ¼ cups of white chocolate and fill it in a ziploc bag.
- Squeeze all the chocolate to one end/corner of the bag to form a cone. Make a small cut at the tip of the bag. Squeeze the chocolate forward and pipe the chocolate coated strawberries .
- Put the strawberries in the fridge for 2 hours to let the chocolate coating harden.
- Remove from the fridge 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Use ripe but firm strawberries.
- Finish the chocolate strawberries in 48 hours of preparation.
- Microwave settings vary. Don’t over heat the chocolate. Very thin mixture of melted chocolate doesn’t coat the strawberries well. If the mixture is too thin, add some vegetable oil or shortening. Don’t use butter. Moisture in the butter doesn’t let the chocolate coat the strawberries.