Mixed Variety Omelet
|September 18, 2008||Posted by usha under Breakfast, Daily Recipes, Eggs, Eggs, Event Entries, Meats & Poultry, Non Veg, Quick and Easy Recipes|
This recipe is my mamayya’s (my father-in-law’s brother) recipe. I usually call this mamayya’s omelet. Since I want to send it to Sangeeth’s 101 Omelet Recipes, I named it Mixed Variety Omelet on the fly. Anyway, what is in name, as long as it tastes good, right?
This recipe is very flexible and has no fixed set of ingredients. One can add all the favorite vegetables and cold meats of his/her choice. Here comes the recipe…….
- 1 – 1 ½ tbsp Oil
- ½ small Onion sliced
- ¼ cup sliced & diced Green Bell Peppers
- 4 Green Chilies chopped (adjust to taste)
- ½ small Tomato sliced
- 1 Mushroom sliced & diced
- ¼ - ½ cup Spinach chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic crushed
- ½ tsp Coriander Powder
- ¾ tsp Chili Powder (adjust to taste, I found it bland)
- Salt to Taste
- Ham chopped (opt. I didn’t use it today, was out of ham)
- 2 Eggs
- Cheese (opt. I didn’t use it do, as I was serving it with rice)
- Cut the vegetables. In a bowl, in 1-2 tsp of milk or water, add cilantro, salt and chili powder, just sufficient for the eggs and mix well. Break the eggs and whisk it until the seasoning is well blended into the beaten egg.
- Heat oil in a pan, sauté onion and green pepper until onion is translucent.
- Add green chilies, mushrooms and spinach and cook for few minutes until spinach wilts.
- Add tomatoes and garlic and cook for a minute until tomato is semi cooked.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric, chili powder and salt. Careful with salt & chili powder as the eggs are all ready seasoned. Add ham if using it. Stir properly until all the spices are incorporated.
- Pour the beaten eggs over the vegetable mixture and cook for few minutes. Flip it and cook until done. If using cheese, sprinkle it over the omelet, and fold it to make a semi circle.
- Remove from the stove and serve hot with a slice of toast or bagel or serve it as it is. Today, I had it for lunch with rice.