Srilekha of Me and My Kitchen has asked us to prepare sweets and send it over to her. I am sending Mysore Pak for her Event of the Month: Sweets event. I am also sending this over to Sweet Series: Halwa, kathli, burfi & peda, hosted by Mythreyee.
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 25 – 30 1″x 1″ pieces
- 1 1/3 – 1 ½ cups Sugar (I used 1 1/3 cup)
- ½ cup Water
- 1 cup Besan eka Gram Flour sifted
- 1 ½ cup Ghee
- ¼ tsp cardamom seeds powdered or 3-4 cardamoms powdered
- Take sugar and water in a heavy bottomed pan. On low flame, cook the sugar water mixture until sugar dissolves in water, stirring constantly. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Increase the flame to medium, bring the syrup to a boil and make a one thread/string consistency syrup. This should take about 2-3 minutes. I am not good at checking the one thread consistency syrup, so I just go by the number of minutes to cook.
- Add 2 tbsp of ghee to syrup and mix well.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add 1 tbsp of flour and 1 tbsp of ghee and mix /stir until the flour is incorporated into the syrup, with out any lumps. Repeat this step until all the flour is added to the syrup. If there is any left over ghee, add it to the mixture. This process should take about 5-6 minutes.
- Add cardamom powder and continue to stir the the mixture.
- From this point on, it is very crucial to stir the mixture constantly to avoid burning of the pan and the flour mixture.
- Constantly mix/stir the flour syrup mixture until the mixture comes together and it starts coating the spoon. The mixture should thickly coat the spoon and the rawness of the flour should be gone. I tasted the mixture to see if the rawness of the flour is gone. This should take about 15 minutes.
- Once the flour is cooked and mixture comes together, it is done. transfer it to a greased baking dish or a plate and even it out. Let it cool for 10 – 15 minutes, cut it into desired shape and let it cool completely.
- Mysore Pak I ready to eat… enjoy…
- The cooking times i gave are approximate and use your discretion when preparing.
- Also, I have a gas burner in my kitchen an the flame of each burner varies and also the cooking time varies from gas burner to electric burners.