Breakfast is the most important meal of the day yet, that is the most neglect meal in my house. U skips his breakfast most of the time and I munch on whatever I find in the fridge or the pantry and eat an early lunch. Whenever he eats breakfast at home, I make roties with chicken shorva or tomato shorva, upma or murmuras. When he doesn’t, I eat whatever is around. I eat anything that is easy to fix and does not require much time to prepare. My breakfast varies depending on my mood from junk food such as cookies and chips to pulihora from left over rice from last night dinner or to healthy food such as sprouts, nuts and oatmeal.
Divya asked us all to show her our breakfast and I am showing two varieties of breakfast which are very easy to fix. One is may favorite and the other is not so appetizing but very easy to prepare. Since I am very lazy person when it comes to fixing food for myself, I don’t even mind eating oatmeal, despite its tastelessness.
Breakfast #1: Sweet Corn Kernels
How I made it:
- In a microwave safe bowl, I took some frozen sweet corn and microwave it for 1½ minutes.
- To corn, I added pinch of pepper, pinch of chili powder, ½ – 1 tsp of garlic paste or crushed garlic, 2 tbsp of desi ghee (homemade clarified butter) and salt to taste.
- Stirred everything and microwave it for another ½ – 1 minute.
- Removed form the microwave, stirred it again. It was ready to eat.
- I did not measure the ingredients and all the measures given are approximate.
- Normally I use pepper, salt and butter. When I made this a week ago, I was in mood to pamper myself and wanted a spicy and flavory breakfast. So I added some chili powder and garlic. Also, I have some homemade ghee I brought from India. Since I was using homemade ghee, I indulged myself with 2 tbsp of ghee. Normally I just use 1 – 2 tsp of butter.
Breakfast # 2: Instant Oatmeal
I use instant oatmeal packets and follow the instructions on it. These packets come in various flavors and I find them a little sweet, specially the fruit flavors. So, I prefer the regular or unflavored oatmeal. I follow the instructions on the package. It is a healthy, quick and fast breakfast to fix in jiffy.
- In a microwave safe I bowl took ½ – 2/3 cups of milk. I usually use water but can use milk also. Emptied the contents of the oatmeal packet into the bowl and heated it in the microwave for 1½ – 2 minutes. Removed it from the microwave, added a pinch of salt and stirred well. Instant oatmeal was ready to eat.
- I added just a pinch of salt when I last had it for breakfast and sometimes, I also add little bit of lime pickle to make it more palatable.