Sweet Punch: Pear, Chocolate & Almond Crumble
|December 7, 2010||Posted by usha under Almonds, Bakes, Baking, Crumbles, Pies, Desserts, Desserts, Desserts & Sweets, Event Entries, Nuts, Vegetarian|
Sweet punch for the month of December is Pear, Chocolate and Almond crumble. I made this for Thanksgiving dinner and everyone loved it. I followed the recipe Divya gave us, with a few substitutions. I made one and half times the given recipe and used both store-bought pears and garden pears. My cousin sent some pears from California and I must tell you, pears from her garden are very sweet and juicy! In fact the pears I picked up from the store were tasteless and wished I had used garden pears instead. Despite the tasteless pears, the crumble turned out excellent! At least, that is the feedback I got from my nieces and nephews.
The preparation was not that bad either. The only time-consuming or strenuous part of the preparation was chopping the pears. Once the pears were chopped, assembling the crumble was quick, pop it in the oven and forget about it for the next 35 minutes. It was that simple!
This is the best picture I could click that day, as I was in a rush. We all went to my niece’s place for dinner. I completely forgot to click a picture when we served dessert!
Note: I am copy pasting the recipe from the source, with the substitutions and changes I made.
Preparation Time: 10 – 15 minutes
Baking Time: 30 – 40 minutes
Serves: 12 – 15 (depends on your serving size)
- For the filling:
- 1.5 kg (6-7) Ripe Pears, peeled, cored and chopped into 1cm pieces
Light Brown Soft SugarGranulated Sugar
- grated zest and juice of 1 Lemon ( I should have used 1 and 1/2 lemon, since I made 1 1/2 times the recipe)
Swiss milk chocolate, roughly choppedMilk Chocolate Chips (I had these in my pantry and used these instead)
- For the crumble:
- 150g plain flour [ You could substitute this with Whole wheat flour too]
- 75g butter, chilled and diced
light brown soft sugarGranulated Sugar
blanched almondsAlmonds, lightly toasted in a dry pan and roughly chopped (blanched almonds would have been nice… when I prepared my shopping list, I read it as unblanched almonds.. )
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4 or 356 F. Grease the pie dish/dishes. I don’t have 12 ramekins, hence baked it in pie-dish and a casserole.
- In a bowl, mix together the pears, sugar, lemon zest and juice, and half the chocolate. Divide the mixture between the two pie-dishes, including the juices.
- To make the crumble, place the flour and butter in a bowl. Mix and rub together the flour and the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar, almonds and remaining chocolate.
- Spoon the crumble over the pears and press down lightly.
- Bake the crumbles for 35 – 40 minutes until golden and bubbling. I baked mine for 40 minutes. If baking in small ramekins, check after 30 minutes and bake for additional 5-10 minutes if required.
- Serve it with some vanilla ice cream. I baked my crumble in the afternoon and served it for dinner.