Today I made no bake chocolate biscuit squares. I adapted Joy of Baking recipe and these squares are perfect to munch on anytime of the day. I made this in the evening and by the time the squares were set, it was dark and had to take the pictures in my kitchen. The picture is not so great.
The preparation of the squares is very easy but the only time consuming part of the preparation is chopping the nuts and biscuits. Digestive biscuits & nuts are mixed with melted chocolate and butter, and then refrigerated to set. The recipe called for 4 oz. or 8 tbsp. of butter but I used only 3 oz or 6 tbsp. I took the the below picture the next day in natural light.
Adapted: Joy of Baking
Total Time: 20 – 30 minutes
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 4 oz. Semi-Sweet or Bitter Chocolate (I used 3 oz. semisweet & 1 oz. bitter chocolate.)
- 3 oz. Butter
- 4 oz. / 115 grams Digestive Biscuits (I used Nabisco Social Tea Time Biscuits)
- 6 oz. / 175 grams / 1 ¼ cups Walnuts + Pecans + Almonds
- Roast the nuts in a pan until lightly toasted. Cool the nuts and chop them. Chopping walnuts & pecans was easy but it was difficult to chop almonds. I coarsely powdered them in the grinder.
- Break biscuits into ½ “pieces.
- Chop chocolate and butter.
- Melt butter & chopped chocolate in a double boiler. That is, boil water in a sauce pan and simmer it. Take chocolate and butter into a mixing bowl and place it on the saucepan and melt chocolate & butter.
- Once the butter & chocolate is melted, remove form the double boiler, add biscuits and nuts, and mix well.
- Grease an 8 x 8 pan or a pie dish (I used a pie dish) with some butter. Pour the chocolate mixture in it and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until the mixture is firm and set.
- Cut into required size squares, store in an air tight box in the refrigerator.
- I could cut the biscuits even smaller pieces than I did.
- I would use semisweet chocolate only. Since sweeteners are not used in this recipe, using bitter chocolate might make the squares a little bitter.
Recipes posted this day in 2011: Cabbage Cucumber Salad with Mustard Yogurt Dressing
Recipes posted this month: in 2009, in 2010 & in 2011.
Blogging Marathon: Checkout more about this marathon and my blogging buddies on Srivalli’s Blogging Marathon Page.
Event Entries: Sending these cookies to Srivalli’s Chocolate Mela and to Srav’s Cooking Concepts # 6: Chocolate Fest.