Cornflake Coconut Cookies
This month I am very late in posting my recipe for Baking Partners. I apologize for the delay. The theme for this month is cookies. We were given three cookies and asked to bake at least on recipe. When the recipes were revealed, I deiced to bake Oreo cookies. Instead, I ended up baking cornflake cookies recipe shared by Priya. I baked the cookies 2-3 weeks ago & I am glad I baked these cookies; these were delicious and got lot of compliments from my nephews & their friends. Thank you Priya, for picking this recipe.
I followed the recipe as given and I used Kellogg’s special K. I substituted black raisins with golden raisins and felt I could have added few more raisins. Here is the recipe. I weighed my ingredients but will also list the cup measurements given by Priya.
Source: Baking: Commonsense by Murdoch Books
Preparation Time: 10 – 15 minutes
Baking Time: 18 minutes
Yields: 24 – 26 cookies depending on the size
- 125grams Softened Unsalted Butter
- 165grams or ¾ cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs lightly beaten
- 1tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp. Black Golden Raisins
- 135 grams or 1 + ½ cups Desiccated coconut
- ½ tsp. Baking Soda
- ½ tsp. Baking Powder
- 250 grams or 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2cups Crushed Cornflakes (I crumbled the flakes with my fingers)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Line two large baking sheets with aluminum or a baking a sheet.
- Sieve together all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder and keep aside.
- Cream the butter & sugar in a bowl until light & fluffy. I used my hand held electric beater to do this job.
- Gradually add beaten egg thoroughly beating the mixture after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract and beat until well incorporated.
- Add raisins, coconut and give a good stir.
- Gradually fold in all-purpose flour. I tried to use my beater but the dough was very stiff and could not fold in all the flour using the beater. I used a wooden spoon. Fold in all the flour little at a time until the all the flour is folded into the batter/dough.
- Take crushed cornflakes in a shallow dish. With a tablespoon take little cookie dough and roll it on cornflakes and shape it into balls. Place it on a cookie shoot and continue to shape the cookies with rest of the dough.
- Bake the cookies for 15 – 20 minutes in a preheated oven. I baked both the trays of cookies at once. I placed one tray in the middle rack and the other one in the bottom second rack and baked them for 17 ½ – 18 minutes until the cookies turned golden brown. My middle rack cookies were light golden brown the cookies in the second last rack were lightly golden brown than the middle rack cookies. I liked the cookies from both the racks. Temperatures vary from oven to oven, hence keep checking the cookies from 16 minutes into baking.
- Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and cool them completely. Store in an airtight container.