Spice Rubbed Grilled Chicken with Cucumber Relish
Cooking from Cookbook Challenge is a new event started by Srivalli. The idea behind this event is to try out recipes from cookbooks, paper clipping, cookery shows or recipes jotted down from family and friends. Source of the recipes can be anything other than blogs and websites. The basic idea is to bring offline recipes online. This is a weekly event and the recipes will be posted on the weekends;either on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. For more details, check out Valli’s page for CC Challenge of the month.
For my first CC Challenge, I chose a recipe from New York Times food section, “The Spices of India”. This recipe was published last year during summer. The season I liked this recipe is, I like grilled & baked chicken and second, the recipe called for roasting the spices. The spices used for this rub are the common spices that go into any marinade or rub for Indian grilled food and I use most of these spices for my grilled food. I being a lazy bone, always look for easy away out when cooking and use unroasted spices. For a change, I thought of sticking to the recipe and roasting the spices. I loved the flavor of the chicken with roasted spices. I made this chicken numerous times since last year but never got to post it here. This event is a perfect opportunity to share the recipe.
I made a few changes to the recipe. The recipe called for roasting the spice powders, including chili powder. I did not feel like roasting chili powder. Since I have all the whole spices that go in to this recipe in my kitchen, I roasted the spices and dry red chilies instead of chili powder, and then powdered the spices. The recipe called for chicken thighs and I used drumsticks instead. The recipe called for grilling the chicken and I broiled it in my oven, as I do not have an outdoor grill.
Soure: New York Times
Total Time: 60 – 80 minutes
Preparation: 10 minutes
Marination: at least 30 – 45 minutes
Grilling: 22-25 minutes
- 1.25 – 1.3 lbs. Chicken Drumsticks or 5 – 6 Drumsticks
- 1/8 tsp. Cardamom seeds or Seeds of one Cardamom
- 2 Cloves
- ¼ tsp. Fenugreek Seeds
- ½ tsp. Cumin
- 10 Black Peppercorns
- ¼” Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. Coriander Seeds
- 2 – 3 Dry Chilies (use 3 for very spicy chicken)
- 1 tsp. Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger Garlic Paste
- Little Oil
- 1 tbsp. Lime Juice or Juice of ½ a Lime
- PAM Cooking Oil Spray or Oil for basting
- Dry roast all the dry ingredients except salt. Roast them for 2-3 minutes or until lightly roasted. Cool the spices and grind them to a fine powder.
- In a big bowl, take the spice powder, salt, lime juice and little oil and mix it.
- Wash the chicken and remove the skin. I have used drumsticks with and without skin. I usually remove the skin but with this chicken, I liked it even with the skin.
- Make 3-5 gashes on each drumstick.
- Add the drumsticks to the spice bowl and rub the spices to the chicken.
- Let it marinate for at least 30 – 45 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator. If refrigerating the chicken, remove it from the fridge ½-1 hour before grilling to bring it to room temperature.
- Place the rack of the oven in the middle and set the broiler to high.
- Place the chicken drumsticks on a grill pan, spray PAM Cooking spray on the drumsticks and broil for 10 minutes.
- Turn the chicken pieces, spray PAM cooking oil or baste the chicken with oil and broiler for another 10 minutes.
- Turn the chicken pieces around and broil for another 2-5 minutes until chicken is fully cooked. I broiled it for 3 minutes.
- Remove the chicken form the broiler, let the chicken rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Using an outdoor grill, according to the recipe, place the chicken directly over the coal and cook until skin is crisp, about 8 minutes. Flip tje chicken and cook for another 6-8 minutes until there is no pink on the bone. I do not have an outdoor charcoal or gas grill do not know the cooking times. What I mentioned is according to the recipe and the recipe called for chicken thighs.
- I usually prefer small drumsticks for grilling. I buy a tray of drumsticks that weigh 1 – 1.3 lbs and has 5-6 pieces.
- 1 Cucumber cut into ½” cubes
- 1 Carrot cut into ½” cubes
- ½ Medium Onion diced
- 1 Green chili seeded and chopped
- ½ Cumin Seeds
- ½ Mustard Seeds
- ½ Coriander Seeds
- Salt to taste
- Little chili powder or pepper powder for spice (I used neither)
- Dry roast cumin, mustard and coriander seeds and let them cool. Grind to a fine powder. This yeilds about 1 tablespoon of powder but I used only ¼ tsp. of this roasted spice powder
- Take the cut vegetables in a bowl mix it with salt and spice powder.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.