Mummy Cupcakes for Home Baker’s Challenge
|October 23, 2013||Posted by MySpicyKitchen under Bakes, Baking, By Category, Cakes, Muffins, Desserts, Event Entries|
For October’s Home Bakers Challenge, Nalini gave us five recipes to choose from. I chose Mummy cupcakes that are a perfect bake for Halloween. I procrastinated till the last minute, then decided skip this bake and join in the next month. There is another group I recently joined and the theme for this month in that group was cupcakes. One a second thought, I went ahead and backed these cupcakes couple of days ago to kill two birds in one shot. I am glad I baked these cakes as Mr.U (husband) & I loved the cakes. I baked 2/3rds of the recipe as we are trying to cut back on our sugar intake.
I followed the recipe as given and baked 6 regular size cupcakes and a dozen mini cupcakes, as I love the mini ones. In fact, Mr.U ate the cupcakes and I ate the mini ones. For some reason, mini cupcakes are more appealing to my eyes. For the cupcakes, I scaled down the recipe to 2/3rds and did the same for the butter cream frosting. However, I was short of the frosting and felt I should have gone with the full recipe for the frosting. Hence, I will list the 2/3rds recipe for the cupcakes and the full recipe for the frosting.
Total Time: 55 – 65 minutes (excludes cooling time for the cupcakes)
Preparation: 15 – 20 minutes
Baking: 23 – 25 minutes
Decorating: 15 – 20 minutes
Yields: 6 regular size & 12 mini cupcakes
- ½ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp. Instant Espresso Powder (I used the Instant Coffee Powder)
- 1/8 tsp. Salt (little over 1/8 and less than 1/4 tsp.)
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs (I used room temperature eggs)
- 2/3 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup Sour Cream
- Pre-heat the oven 350 F.
- Line the cupcakes tray with the liners.
- In a bowl mix together flour, cocoa powder, espresso or coffee powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Add the Vanilla extract and beat to mix.
- Beat in ½ the flour mixture, then the sour cream and lastly the remaining flour mixture.
- Once the flour is well incorporated into the egg mixture, pour the batter into the cupcakes tray.
- Bake in a pre-heat middle rack for 25 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean. I baked the mini cupcakes for 18 ½ minutes and regular cupcakes for 23 minutes. When baking, do keep in mind that temperatures vary from oven to oven.
- Let the cupcakes cool on a cake rack before frosting them.
- 2 cup Confectioner’s Sugar
- ¼ cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 – 1 ½ tbsps. boiling Water (I used hot milk)
- Combine confectioner’s sugar, melted butter, vanilla extract and water in bowl. Beat all the ingredients together until a frosting consistency is achieved. It takes about 2-3 minutes. Add more milk if required.
- Fill a frosting in a piping bag coupled with a slant tip. Drop two drops of frosting on the cupcake to make the eyes. On those drops of frosting, stick two M&Ms with letter side down. These will be the eyes of the mummy. Pipe the frosting on the cupcakes. With a color gel (I used red), place a drop on the M&Ms. There are many videos on YouTube demonstrating how to decorate the cupcakes.
- I frosted 3 cupcakes as mummies and the rest, made my own designs. I used those cakes for my other post with cupcakes.