Peanut Spread & a Sandwich
For the final day of this mini marathon, I have a quick and easy spread. However, I had a hard time coming up with a name for this recipe. I made it as a spread for sandwiches and named it as a spread. This recipe can be tweaked to make yummy chutney or a filling for mirchi bajji. This is such a versatile recipe! This spread can easily become chutney by adding some tempering and it can also be used as a filling for mirchi bajji, with or without adding any additional ingredients to the spread.
I usually roast and then store the peanuts. These roasted peanuts come very handy when needed. So, this spread was prepared in matter of minutes. I made a simple sandwich, using this spread. I used cucumber, onions, tomatoes and some shredded lettuce for the sandwich.
- ¼ cup Roasted Peanuts
- 1 Garlic Clove chopped, approx. ¾ – 1 tsp. chopped Garlic
- 1 Green Chili chopped, approx. 1 tsp. chopped Green Chili (adjust to taste)
- 1/8 – ¼ tsp. Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 tbsp. Lemon Juice (adjust to taste)
- 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) (can use vegetable or any cooking oil and also, add more oil if required)
- 1 – 1 ½ tbsp. Water, (add less or more, as required)
- Few Cilantro ~ Coriander leaves, approx. 1 – 1 ½ tbsp. chopped Cilantro ~ Coriander leaves
- Few Pepper Flakes (opt.)
- Spread – Take all the ingredients except pepper flakes in a food processor or a grinder and make a paste. Sprinkle some pepper flakes for more spice.
- Sandwich – Toasted couple of slices of toasted bread. I used white bread. Spread some peanut spread on one side of both the slices. Arrange some sliced cucumber, sliced onion, sliced tomatoes and some shredded lettuce on one slice and cover it with the other to make a sandwich.
- Chutney – Grind all the ingredients except EVOO and pepper flakes. Add more water if required, to get chutney consistency. For tempering, heat some oil and add mustard, cumin, curry leaves, red chilies and turmeric. Add this tempering to the peanut paste. Tamarind juice or paste can be used instead of lime juice.
- Stuffing for Mirchi Bajji – EVOO and pepper flakes are not required. Add ½ tsp. coriander powder, ¼ – ½ tsp. cumin and little bit of turmeric along with other ingredients to make a paste. Lime juice can be substituted with tamarind paste or juice. This is one version of filling than can be used for mirchi bajji.
Blogging Marathon: Checkout what my fellow bloggers are doing this week on blogging marathon page.