Scrambled Tofu with Tomatoes and Scallions
|August 15, 2014||Posted by MySpicyKitchen under Breakfast, Curries & Fries, Curries & Stir Fries, Daily Recipes, Stir Fries, Tomato, Vegetarian, Vegetarian, Vegetarian|
I am not a big fan of tofu but do cook it once in a while on the days I do not eat meats. Tofu is my source of protein on that day. I usually spicy it up to make it flavorful and make either grilled tofu or tofu curry.
Few days ago New York Times had a bunch of tofu recipes and one of them was scrambled tofu with tomatoes, scallions and soya sauce. I tweaked the recipe to suit my palate.
I substituted black pepper with some green chilies, chili powder and garam masala. Omitted soya sauce and added some onions along with scallions.
Source: New York Times
Cooking Time: 15 – 20 minutes
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- ½ small Onion chopped
- 1 ½ tsp. Ginger Garlic Paste
- 3 Green Chilies chopped
- ½ – ¾ tsp. Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp. Chili Powder (adjust to taste)
- 1/8 – ¼ tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 ½ cups chopped Tomatoes or 1 cup chopped Tomatoes
- 2 Scallions or 1/3 cup chopped Scallions
- 14 oz. / 396 grams Extra Firm Tofu
- 1/8 Garam Masala
- Heat oil in a sauté pan on medium high flame.
- Add onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry until ginger smell dissipates.
- Add green chilies, chili powder, turmeric and salt, and mix it.
- Add tomatoes and mix it. Cover and cook until tomatoes are soft and mushy. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Drain tofu, crumble it and add it to tomato mixture along with scallions and garam masala. Give it good stir blend the tofu in the tomato mixture. Cook for 10 minutes stirring it occasionally until tofu dries out.
- Serve hot with roti or rice or with some toasted bread if serves for breakfast. I served it rice and roti for dinner.
I used a stainless steel sauté pan and the cooking times will vary if using a nonstick pan. Use the cooking time mentioned above as a guideline when preparing scrambled tofu.
This day in 2010: Indian Cooking Challenge – Bari, Dried Lentils Dumplings
This day in 2012: Julia Child’s Chocolate Almond Cake/
Events: This is my entry for this week’s Cooking from Cookbook Challenge.