Danish Egg Salad with Mustard Sprouts
Today I have a quick and easy recipe from Denmark. Egg salad is a typical Danish lunch. It can also be served on an open sandwich and rye bread is used for sandwiches. Open sandwiches, also known as smørrebrød are usual lunch for Danes. One day I made this egg salad for lunch and it was quite filling. I had initially planned on serving it on top of an open sandwich. I did not have rye bread on hand and I was the only one eating. So I ate it as a salad.
The dressing for this salad is a spicy curry powder dressing. I am not very fond of eggs and especially the boiled eggs. Whenever I do eat boiled eggs, I spicy it with lot of spices to suite my palate. The curry powder dressing was just perfect to spice up the eggs and was quite flavorful. I could not find mustard sprouts and used radish and clover sprouts instead. The yellow color of the salad is from the curry powder.
Source: Karla’s Nordic Kitchen
- 2 Eggs boiled
- Mustard Sprouts for garnish (I used Radish & sprouts)
- 2 tbsp. Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. Greek Yogurt (I used fat free regular yogurt)
- 1 tsp. Curry Powder (I used Madras hot curry powder)
- 1 Scallion finely chopped
- 1/8 – ¼ tsp. Salt (adjust to taste)
- Dash of Pepper Powder (My curry powder is spicy hence used very little pepper powder)
- Boil eggs as per your choice, hard boiled or semi boiled. Cool the eggs and peel.
- Combine all the ingredients listed under dressing.
- Cut the eggs into small pieces. I cut each egg into 16 – 20 pieces.
- Mix the egg pieces with salad dressing.
- Garnish with sprouts and serve. This salad can also be served on rye bread as open sandwiches.