Korean Pan Fried Tofu with Spicy Sauce for Food of the World
This month Food of the World is in Korea. Korean cuisine is one of our favorites and we always ended up eating Korean food whenever we eat out. Today I made a simple and easy pan fried tofu with spicy sauce, dububuchim-yangnyeomjang. In Korean tofu is pronounced as doo boo and yangnyeomjang is seasoning sauce. This tofu can be served as a starter or as a side dish. Most of the Korean side dishes are simple, easy and taste delicious.
I made a full Korean meal few months ago. Check out bibimbap I made few months ago.
To go with the bibimbap I also made seasoned bean sprouts,
and spicy cucumber salad.
Here is today’s recipe, Pan Fried Tofu with Spicy Sauce.
Total Time: 15 – 20 minutes
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 – 14 minutes
Yields: 10 pieces
- 7 oz. Firm Tofu (I used half a packet of extra form tofu. One packet is 14 oz.)
- 1 ½ tbsp. Vegetable Oil (I used Olive Oil)
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 1 Green Onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. Chili Flakes
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- 1 tsp. Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp. Soya Sauce
- Slice tofu into 10 slices. I cut a 14 oz. cube into ½ lengthwise and used only ½ piece. Cut that one piece into 10 pieces.
- Pat dry each piece with paper towel.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan; add tofu to pan and fry on low to medium low heat for 5-7 minutes on each side until light golden brown. Do not over fry the tofu.
- Transfer tofu to serving plate.
- Prepare spicy sauce by mixing together all the ingredients listed under spicy sauce.
- Pour the sauce over fried tofu and serve with steaming rice or as a side dish with any Korean meal.
- Soya Sauce – I used dark soya sauce and felt light soya sauce would have tasted better.
- Salt – The recipe did not call for salt and even I did not add any and thought the sodium in soya sauce might be enough. I felt I could have added some salt. Adjust the salt in the sauce to your taste.
Please add your Korean recipes to the linky below and visit my co-host to see what they are cooking.
Please visit the co-host blogs and follow their sites!