Thenghai Thayir Pachadi ~ Coconut Yogurt Pachadi
This is a quick and easy coconut chutney from Chandra Padmanabhan’s cookbook Dakshin – Vegetarian cuisine from South India. She listed this pachadi under salads but I think it would pair well with idli, pongal and upma. I made this pachadi to go with ven pongal as part of my Buffet on Table, month long marathon this September.
Source: Dakshin, Vegetarian Cuisine from South India
Total Time: 8 – 10 minutes
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 3 – 5 minutes
- 3 tbsp. grated Fresh Coconut or 4 tbsp. flaked Coconut (I used dry coconut flakes)
- 4 Green Chilies
- ½” Ginger piece
- ½ – ¾ cup chopped Cilantro ~ Kothmir
- 1 cup Yogurt, whisked
- ¾ tsp. Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 ½ tsp. Oil
- ¼ – ½ tsp. Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp. Chana Dal ~ Bengal Gram
- ½ tsp. Urad Dal ~ Black Gram
- ¼ tsp. Cumin Seeds
- 1 Red Chili, broken into two pieces
- ⅛ – ¼ tsp. Asafoetida
- 2-4 Curry Leaves
- Take coconut, green chilies, ginger, half of the cilantro in a blender and grind to paste.
- Take yogurt in a serving bowl, add coconut paste, salt and mix well.
- Take oil in a pan for tempering. When oil is hot, add all the ingredients listed under tempering.
- When mustard seeds splutter and dals change color, remove from fire.
- Pour it over yogurt mixture and mix well.
- Garnish with remaining cilantro and chill until ready to serve.