Crunchy Sweet Corn Salad with Buttermilk Dressing
Next recipe from Food52 contest winners is a summer salad, crunchy sweet corn salad with buttermilk dressing. As soon as I saw this salad I bookmarked it without even reading the full recipe as I like anything with corn. When I started preparing the salad I realized recipe calls for fresh uncooked corn! I never used fresh uncooked corn as it is and even considered changing the recipe. Since I had all the ingredients ready, I went ahead with the preparation and I am glad I did. I liked the salad and even husband liked it. However, I wonder if he would eat uncooked corn if I made it very often. I would not mind it at all and crunchy sweet corn salad was my lunch and breakfast the next morning.
Crunchy sweet corn salad is a refreshing summer salad with raw fresh corn, cucumber and red bell pepper. Buttermilk dressing is tangy and blended well with the crunchy vegetables and feta cheese. This is a wonderful side dish to take on picnics or barbeque parties. The day made it, wished I had grilled some meat to serve the salad with. Here is another picture of the salad on photo blog.
Preparation: 10 – 15 minutes
Serves: 6 as a side dish
- ½ small Red Onion or 1 Shallot thinly sliced
- 3 Fresh Sweet Corn Ears, kernels scraped off the cob with a knife, about 2 ⅔ cups of kernels
- ½ medium sized Red Bell Pepper chopped, about ⅓ – ½ cup after chopping
- 3 – 4 Mini Cucumbers, quartered lengthwise and cut to ½” piece, (I used 3, about 1 ¾ cup when cut. I felt I could have used 4 cucumbers)
- 1 tbsp. minced Dill
- ¼ cup finely chopped Parsley (I used cilantro)
- Crumbled Feta Cheese, rinsed, for garnish
- ¼ cup Buttermilk (I used ⅛ cup yogurt + ⅛ cup whey)
- ⅔ cup Yogurt, whisked (check note)
- 1 tbsp. White Wine Vinegar
- 3 tbsp. minced Yellow Onion
- 1 small Garlic, minced
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- Salad – Salt onion slices in ½ tsp. salt and keep aside for 20 minutes to remove the harshness of the onion. Rinse in water and pat dry on paper towel.
- In large 1 ½ – 2 quart bowl toss the corn kernels lightly to separate the kernels.
- Add sliced onions and rest of the salad ingredients and toss to combine. Chill until ready to serve.
- Dressing – In a smaller bowl whisk together buttermilk, yogurt, onion, garlic and vinegar.
- Gradually add oil whisking until well combined. Season with salt and pepper powder.
- Serving – Serve chilled salad, garnished with feta cheese. Pass around the dressing separately.
- My dressing was thick and I liked it. But if one prefers thinner dressing, use less yogurt and add a little water to make equal ⅔ cup. Also, I substituted ⅛ cup yogurt + ⅛ cup whey for buttermilk. This could have also made my dressing thick.