Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Apple Cake
As I mentioned couple of weeks ago, I baked a handful of Food 52 contest winning recipes. This is another contest winning recipe. This chocolate chip cake can be served as a dessert or as a snack.
I made this cake couple of months ago for a get together. Everyone seemed to have liked it and we finished off the cake in a day. I baked the cake for 1 hour and I felt the bottom was a bit burnt but my cousin liked the slightly burnt cake.
That day I was in a rush and could not take too many pictures and had to wrap up my shoot in 10 minutes. I usually upload my sorted and edited pictures immediately. For some reason I did not do so and I assumed I did. Couple of days ago when I started drafting the post, I realized I had not uploaded the images and are on my hard drive, back in NY. Fortunately I had used one of the images for my photo blog which is coming handy now. I shall update rest of the pictures next month, when I go back home.
Source: Food 52
Total Time: 1 hour – 1 ½ hours
Preparation: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 40 – 60 minutes
Yields: 9″ cake
- 1 cup Walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp. Ground Cinnamon (I used 1 ½ tbsp. (4 ½ tsp) freshly ground cinnamon)
- 1 ½ cups + 2 tbsp. Sugar, divided
- ½ cup Butter, softened
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 2 cups sifted Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 ½ tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 cup Full-Fat Sour Cream
- 1 medium sized Apple, thinly sliced (I used Granny Smith, quartered and sliced width wise. I should have sliced lengthwise. Check note below)
- ¾ cup Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Butter a springform pan and line the bottom with a parchment or wax paper. I used a 9” round springform pan.
- Mix walnuts, cinnamon powder, 2 tbsp of sugar in a bowl and keep aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and 1 ½ cups sugar until light and fluffy. I used my hand held electric mixer.
- Add eggs, vanilla and beat until combined.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Sifting the flour will keep the cake light. Flour will be sifted twice, once before measuring and second with baking soda, salt and baking powder.
- Divide flour mixture and sour cream to 3 portions each.
- Set the mixer setting to low, add flour mixture and sour cream to egg mixture, alternating with flour and sour cream until combined. Start with flour and end with sour cream. Do not over mix.
- Fold in chocolate chips. I used electric mixer but can use wooden spoon or a spatula.
- Pour half the batter into the pan. Starting from the outer edge, arrange apple slices on the batter in concentric circle.
- Sprinkle half the cinnamon walnut mixture over the apples and then pour remaining batter over it. Even out the batter with a spatula.
- Top the cake with rest of the cinnamon walnut mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until it is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I baked for 60 minutes. Start checking the cake from 40 minutes on wards.
- Let the cake cool in the pan until the edges start to pull away from the sides.
- I used 1 Granny Smith apple. I quartered the apples and sliced each quarter width wise. I got 2 concentric circles and had to double layer both the circles. I still had a few extra pieces.
This is part of the Bake-a-thon 2015