Kheema Shimla Mirch ~ Ground Goat Bell Pepper Curry
Kheema Shimla mirch is a dry Indian curry cooked with ground goat meat and bell peppers. Kheema is ground meat and Shimla mirch aka capsicum is bell pepper and these two pair well. This kheema Shimla mirch curry is served with rice or roti ~ Indian flatbread.
For the last week of this month’s blogging marathon, my theme is Flavors of India. The idea behind the theme is to cook those forgot dishes, or dishes that are not usually available in restaurants.
Today’s recipe is one that I first tasted at my aunt’s place and later become a regular at my place too. Though I use to like this kheema bell pepper curry when growing up, it doesn’t taste the same with the bell peppers we get here in the US. Hence, I seldom make it here and second, husband isn’t very fond of this combination. If you are in India and get those desi Shimla mirch, which usually are small and not the hybrid variety that are big, do try this curry.
Cooking Time: 30 – 40 minutes
- 12 oz. or 340 grams Goat Kheema (approximate measure)
- 1 tsp. Chili Powder
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Coriander Powder
- 1 tbsp. Ginger Garlic Paste
- Pinch of Turmeric
- 1 tbsp. Oil
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- 3 Cardamoms
- 2 Cloves
- ½ tsp. Shah Jeera ~ Caraway Seeds (I used cumin as I was out of caraway seeds)
- ½ small Onion chopped
- 3 small Green Chilies, cut into 2-3 pieces
- 1 tsp. Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp. Coriander Powder
- ¾ tsp. Chili Powder
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 small – medium size Green Bell Pepper ~ Shimla Mirch ~ Capsicum, diced (about 1 cup after dicing)
- ¼ tsp. Garam Masala (store bought)
- Cilantro ~ Kothmir leaves, chopped for garnish
- Pre-cook Kheema – Wash kheema, squeeze kheema to remove as much water as possible or put in a colander to drain the water.
- Take kheema in a pan, add chili powder, salt, coriander powder, ginger garlic paste, turmeric, oil and mix well.
- Cook kheema stirring it frequently the first few minutes. Otherwise kheema could come together and form a big lump. Stir to break the lump. Keep stirring until kheema is crumbled.
- Once kheema is crumbled, cover and cook until kheema is tender & cooked.
- Curry – Heat oil in a separate pan. When oil is hot, add cardamom, cloves, cumin or shah jeera and let the spices roast.
- Add onions, green chilies and saute until onions are soft.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute until raw smell of ginger is gone.
- Add coriander powder, chili powder, salt, turmeric and mix well.
- Add bell peppers and saute for a minute or two until bell peppers are lightly roasted in oil.
- Add cooked kheema, mix, cover and cook until bell peppers are soft.
- Uncover and fry until curry is done.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with rice or flatbread.
- Precooking kheema is optional. If cooking the curry directly, follow the curry instructions and add kheema before bell peppers. Once kheema is almost cooked, add bell peppers and continue cooking until both kheema and bell peppers are cooked.
- Substitute goat kheema with soya granules for veggie version.