Minted Lemon Lime Watermelon Agua Fresca
Agua Fresca is a non alcoholic beverage prepared with fruits, flowers or seeds blended with light sugar syrup. This is a popular drink in the Caribbean, Central America, Mexico and United States. Today’s agua fresca is from the special edition of The Best of Cooking Light magazine. For this beverage, mint, lemon rind and lime rind is let stand in hot sugar syrup to infuse the flavors and then added to the fruit juice. I made full recipe syrup and later realized I only have half the quantity of watermelon required for this agua fresca. I used ½ the syrup to make agua fresca and refrigerated the remaining syrup of later use. I listed the full recipe below. Watermelon should be blended smooth but I left some chunks as it is. Though, next time i will blend the watermelon to smooth juice.
Source: The Best of Cooking Light # 13
Total Time: 35 – 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- 1 ¼ cup Water
- ½ cup Sugar
- ⅓ cup coarsely chopped fresh Mint
- 1 tbsp. Lemon Rind
- 1 tbsp. Lime Rind
- 12 cups seeded Watermelon cubes
- ¼ cup fresh Lime Juice
- 3 tbsp. fresh Lemon Juice
- Combine sugar and water and bring to a boil on medium high heat. Stir constantly to melt the sugar. Once the syrup comes to a boil, let it boil for 30 seconds.
- Turn off the heat, add lemon rind, lime rind, chopped mint and let it rest for 20 minutes until flavors infuse into the syrup.
- Take ⅓ of the syrup & ⅓rd of the watermelon cubes in a blender and blend until smooth & transfer to a pitcher. Repeat the process twice with the rest of the syrup & watermelon.
- Add lemon juice, lime juice and give it a stir.
- Serve with ice cubes or refrigerate until ready to serve.