Cabbage Egg Bhurji
Cabbage bhurji is the last recipe under the theme bhurji recipes, for the first week of this month’s blogging marathon # 62. This is an interesting recipe and I was skeptical when saw it online. To my surprise, cabbage blended well into the bhurji. To be on the safe side, I added four eggs instead of 3.
I have seen recipes where cabbage is used as a substitute for onion and really wanted to try cabbage bhurji, though I was skeptical about the taste. This is a nice way to sneak in cabbage into food for picky eaters. There are many recipes online and I made the bhurji to my liking. This is a standard egg bhurji recipe with an addition of grated cabbage. Once the cabbage is cooked, eggs are added and scrambled.
Total Time: 20 minutes
Preparation: 5 – 8 minutes
Cooking Time: 12 – 15 minutes
- 1 ¾ – 2 cups grated Cabbage
- 2 – 3 tbsp Oil (I used 3 tbsp.)
- ½ cup chopped Onions
- 1 – 1 ½ tsp. Ginger Garlic Paste
- 6 small Green Chilies, chopped
- ½ – 1 tsp Coriander Powder (opt)
- ⅛ tsp. Turmeric Powder
- ½ – ¾ tsp. Chili Powder (adjust to taste)
- ¾ tsp. Salt (adjust to taste)
- 4 Eggs
- Cilantro ~ Coriander Leaves for garnish
- Wash ⅓ of a small cabbage. Cut into big pieces and process in a food processor using a grating blade. It can also be hand grated.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan, add onions and saute until soft.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for few seconds until raw smell is gone.
- Add green chilies and saute until chilies change color.
- Add coriander powder, chili powder, salt, turmeric powder and stir well.
- Add cabbage and mix.
- Cover and cook for couple of minutes. Remove cover, stir and cook covered for another couple of minutes on medium flame or until cabbage is tender and soft.
- Beat eggs in a bowl. Pour it over cabbage mixture. Stir immediately to scramble the egg.
- Increase the flame and cook until egg is cooked.
- Add chopped cilantro, stir and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve cabbage bhurji for breakfast with toasted bread or with roti. It can also be served as a side dish with rice or as a filling for wraps.
This day in 2011: Ham Salad