The final recipe of the week for this month’s Cooking Carnival with Protein Rich Ingredients is baked omelet. I prepared the omelet just like the omelet on stove but instead of cooking it on stovetop in a pan, I baked it in a mini pie pan. The outcome was good, it tasted liked a souffle in a savory form. One of my nephews who is here for the long weekend said, it reminded him of a souffle he tasted in Paris, the only difference being, that souffle was layered with bacon and few other meats.
I was happy he gave a positive feedback. In the morning when I asked Mr U, he didn’t want to eat baked omelet for breakfast. Since he didn’t want to eat baked omelet, I made an omelet with one egg. Though I liked the omelet, I would not fire up oven if I have to bake just one egg. However, this would be a great way to make omelet if serving for a large group. Pour the egg mixture into a large baking dish or individual serving size ramekins or pie dishes and put in the oven. Woila, omelet is done in 20 minutes while you set the table!
Today I used ham, red peppers, green chilies, cilantro and some tabasco sauce but the veggies and meats of choice can be used. I also wanted onions but completely forgot when prepping. I have only one final picture of the omelet and am not very happy with it either. So thought of sharing archive pictures of eggs from my photoblog. Have a nice long weekend and I will be back on Monday with another protein rich ingredient for vegetarians!
Total Time: 30 minutes
Preparation: 10 minutes (preheating oven takes at least 10 minutes)
Bake Time: 20 minutes
- ¼ – ½ tsp. Oil for greasing the pan (I did not measure and was generous in greasing the pan)
- 1 tbsp. chopped Red Bell Pepper
- 1 tbsp. diced Ham (I used ½ slice and felt I could have used 1 slice)
- 1 tbsp. grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1 small Green Chili, chopped
- 1 – 2 tbsp. chopped Cilantro
- 1 extra Large Egg
- 2 tsp. Milk
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- Few drops of Tabasco Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Grease the pan generously, with oil.
- Take all the ingredients except egg and oil in the pan. Mix until everything mixes.
- Add the egg and lightly whisk.
- Pour into greased pan and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until a knife or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Serve immediately when hot or at least warm. Even room temperature omelet wasn’t bad.
- I used ham, red bell peppers, green chili, cilantro and some tabasco sauce. But one can use veggies and cold cut meats of choice. Green chilies can be substituted with black pepper or chili powder or just only Tabasco or chili sauce.
- If using sausage, first cook the sauce and crumble it before adding to egg mixture.