Last Updated on
My athamma (mother-in-law) use to make this curry a lot. She use to cook bell peppers with some green peas and tomatoes. She used to add some madras curry powder to spicy it up. She was a very good cook and used madras curry powder a lot in her cooking. I too make this curry once in awhile but rarely use curry powder, although I have a tin of it in my spice cabinet. But today, I went ahead and added it to cook exactly as she used to, to replicate her recipe. My curry wasn’t as good as her’s but was palatable. Three years ago, exactly this day, she left us all for good. Since I am in a blogging marathon and was going to post something today anyway, I thought I would make something she liked or she use to cook very often. Here I am with her recipe.
Source: My mother-in-law
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 2 – 3
- 1 tbsp Oil
- ½ medium Onion chopped
- 1 ½ tsp. Ginger Garlic paste
- 2 tsp. Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 ¼ tsp. Chili Powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp. Madras Hot Curry Powder (Rajah Brand)
- ¾ tsp. Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/3 – ½ cup Green Peas
- 1 large Green Bell Pepper diced
- 2 small Tomatoes chopped or 1 ½ cups chopped Tomatoes
- Cilantro to garnish
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook until raw smell of ginger is gone.
- Add coriander powder, chili powder, turmeric, salt, curry powder and stir well.
- Add green peas, bell peppers and mix well so that the spices coat the peppers. Cover and cook for couple of minutes on high. Make sure the vegetables do not burn.
- Add tomatoes, mix well, reduce the heat to medium or medium high, cover and cook until the tomatoes and bell peppers are cooked. This should take about 5 – 8 minutes.
- Remove the cover and cook for few minutes until the vegetables are well fried.
- Turn of the heat, transfer to serving dish, garnish with cilantro.
- Serve it with rice or roties.
This Green Bell P & Green Peas Curry goes Torview’s Food Palette Green. Check out what my fellow blogging marathoners Srivalli, Priya Suresh, Jaya, Monika, PJ, Priya Vaasu, Azeema, Reva, Ayeesha, Veena, Soumya & Gayathri.