I am back with another cucumber treat from Tarla Dalal, Cucumber Yogurt Rice. I don’t like plain yogurt rice and don’t eat it everyday, which is very uncommon for a south indian. Whenever I am on a guilt trip that I am not getting enough calcium from my diet, I make cucumber raita, spinach raita, tomato yogurt chutney or any chutney or salad that has yogurt in it. This is my only source of calcium rich food. When I saw Cucmber yogurt rice, I was curious to try it, as it is another calcium recipe for me and it seemed like a variation of Daddhojanam, Flavored Yogurt Rice.
I usually have the tendency of tinkering with recipes when I make them and it ends up in a disaster. So this time I stuck to the recipe and used all the ingredients listed in the recipe and made some adjusts to the measurements (bad habits die hard, no matter how hard I try 🙂 ). Rice was tasty and is very easy to prepare. However, the next time I make it, I would add few more ingredients to the tempering to make the rice more flavorful, such as mustard seeds, chopped ginger and may be little bit of butter.
Total Time: 40 minutes
Preparation Time: 30 minutes (For cooking and cooling of rice)
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup Uncooked Rice cooked and cooled (the measuring cup that comes with the rice cooker)
- ¾ cup Cucumber peeled and cut into small pieces
- ½ – ¾ cup Grated Carrots
- 2 ½ – 3 cups Yogurt (I used homemade yogurt)
- ¼ cup Cilantro
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 red Dry Chili
- 4-6 Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp jeera
- 1 tbsp Urad Dal
- ½ tsp Hing
- 4 Green Chilies chopped
- Mix yogurt, carrots, cucumber, cilantro, salt and rice.
- In a pan take oil and add all the tempering ingredients.
- Mix it with yogurt rice.
- Garnish with some cilantro and grated carrot.
- Serve immediately. Refrigerate rice immediately as yogurt becomes sour at room temperature.
- To make it more flavorful try add mustard seeds, chopped or grated ginger and little bit butter when tempering.