Few years ago, during my first visit back to India, one of our aunts invited us for lunch. One of the items on the menu was dondakaya perugu pachadi and I liked it a lot. She chopped dondakaya and made raita or perugu pachadi with raw dondakaya. The crunchy raw vegetable in seasoned yogurt was mouthwatering! After coming back from my vacation, I forgot all about this pachadi. Two or three years ago, when I was on a guilt trip of not consuming enough calcium thru my diet, I was thinking of various ideas to make riatas and perugu pachadi. I remembered this pachadi and made it a few times. My pachadi was not as delicious as my aunt’s but it was palatable. I have not made the pachadi since then and thanks to this marathon, here I am with this delicious perugu pachadi.
For the third day of the marathon, I am sharing this dondakaya perugu pachadi under the theme five or less ingredients. Ivy gourd is dondakaya & perugu is yogurt in telugu.
- 15 Dondakaya / Tindora / Ivy Gourd or 1 ½ cups Ivy Gourd cut into semi-circles
- ½ small Red Onion chopped
- 1 tsp. Mustard Powder
- 1 cup Yogurt
- Tempering & Seasoning
- Salt to taste (approx. 1 tsp.)
- 2 tsp. Oil
- ½ tsp. Jeera
- ½ tsp. Mustard Seeds
- ½ Urad Dal
- 3 Curry Leaves
- 1 Red Chili (I normally don’t like to add red chili but added for a good picture)
- 3 Green Chilies deseeded and chopped (optional. You could either use red chilies or green)
- Wash ivy gourd and cut them into semi – circles or quarter-circles and chop the onion.
- Take ivy gourd & onion into a serving bowl. Add mustard powder, salt and mix well.
- Now add the yogurt. Taste it and adjust mustard powder & salt to your taste.
- In a pan take some oil for tempering. Oil is hot; add cumin, mustard and urad dal. When the seeds pop, add curry leaves, dry chili & green chilies. When the chilies are roasted, turn off the heat, add turmeric. Let the tempering cool.
- Add it to the pachadi. Serve it as a side dish with rice or roties.
If you like this pachadi, you may also like these raitas & perugu pachadis
Event Entries: This is my entry to Srivalli’s Condiment Mela