Black-eyed peas beets salad is a healthy yummy salad. It makes a good side dish for dinners and bbq parties.
This year winter was extremely cold. Finally the temperatures are warming up and Spring is just around the corner! That means more salads on the menu. Deborah’s black eyed beets salad is just perfect for upcoming warm weather. I like black eyed peas in salads and give it a try for Food Blogger’s Recipe Swap event.
Here is another black eyed peas salad I posted some time ago.
How to make Black Eyed Peas Beets Salad?
Black-eyed peas beets salad is an easy recipe and if one has cooked beets and cooked black-eyed peas or canned peas handy, salad comes together in matter of minutes. Just toss peas and beets together with a vinaigrette and salad is ready to serve.
I cooked dry peas at home and steamed beet, which is the time consuming part of the preparation. However, make it semi homemade by using canned peas and cooked beets from the supermarket. It is great salad for weeknights and goes well with almost any cuisine.
Healthy Black Eyed Peas Beets Salad Recipe
Black eyed peas beets salad
- ½ cup dried Black Eyed Peas
- 1 medium sized Beetroot
- ½ small Red Onion diced
- 1 Garlic Clove minced
- 1- 2 tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar (I used 1 tbsp)
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 4 sprigs of Cilantro chopped
- Wash and cook black-eyed peas with 3 cups of water.
- When water comes to a boil, reduce the flame to medium and cook until peas are soft yet firm, about 20 minutes.
- Drain the peas and keep aside.
- While peas are cooking, wash beetroot, cut the ends and cut into 4 pieces. In a saucepan cook or steam beetroot until soft, about 20-25 minutes. I prefer steaming.
- Let the beets cool, peel and dice.
- In a small bowl whisk together minced garlic, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- In a serving dish take beets, black-eyed peas and onions. Drizzle vinaigrette and chopped cilantro and toss.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Substitute rice vinegar with lime juice.