I love desserts but usually avoid making them unless it is for the blog. Most of the time I end up eating all the desserts I make at home and since past few years, it is showing up on my waistline. That was never an issue until I reached mid to late 30s. Now I hardly ever make desserts unless it is for the blog. Off late, I am baking cakes or brownies and completely stopped making no bake desserts.
When saw the themes for this month, I instantly picked no bake desserts. Back of my mind, I was still worried about my waistline but one can indulge once in awhile, isn’t it? I will worry about burning the calories later ?. First in the series is a Oreo cookies ice-cream pie. This is a very easy recipe and the only time consuming step is freezing the ice-cream to set.
- 1 dozen Oreo Cookies (⅓ pack)
- 2 tbsp. Butter, melted
- ⅔ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- ⅓ can or approximately 130 grams or ½ cup Sweet Condensed Milk
- ⅓ tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Crush Oreo cookies to crumbs either in a plastic bag or in a food processor, like I did.
- Keep aside ⅓ cup Oreo cookies crumbs.
- Add butter to oreo crumbs and press it into a pie dish. I used a mini pie pan.
- In a bowl take heavy cream, vanilla extract and whip until medium peaks are formed. It helps to refrigerator the bowl of cream along with the beaters for few minutes or in freezer. I refrigerated and went ahead the with the pie crust preparation.
- In another bowl take condensed milk and fold in the whipped cream.
- Add ¼ cup cookie crumbs, keeping aside some for decoration.
- Pour the mixture in the prepared pie pan and freeze for 5 hours until ice-cream is firm.
- Decorate with whipped cream and Oreo cookies or sprinkle some Oreo cookies crumb. I sprinkled cookies crumb. Note, whipped cream and cookies for decoration are not listed in the ingredient list.
- When ready to serve, keep the ice-cream pie on the countertop for few minutes, slice with knife dipped in warm water.
- The day I prepared the pie, something came up and I could not serve and click the pictures the same day I prepared it. My pie was in the freezer for almost two days and I had trouble cutting the pie, specially the crust. The taste was good, though.
- I made one third of the recipe. If making full recipe, you will need 1 pack of Oreo cookies (3 dozen cookies), 2 cups heavy cream and 1 can of condensed milk. You will need a 9″ pie dish/pan.
- Ice-cream – follow the instructions and prepare the ice cream as above. Instead of pouring it in a pie crust, pour it in a freezer safe container and freeze until set. To serve, scoop out the ice-cream using an ice-cream scoop and serve topping it with broken Oreo cookies.
- Mousse – skip the pie crust preparation. Prepare the mouse by whipping the cream until medium peaks are formed. Fold in Oreo cookie crumb and transfer to individuals serving bowls. Refrigerate for few hours and serve chilled, decorated with some Oreo cookies or broken cookies or cookie crumb.
This day in 2011 – Microwave Kalakand