When I saw Dee’s announcement for this month’s Herb Mania Basil, I decided I was going to send something this time for her event. I missed her last month’s event and never participate in Herb Mania before. I don’t use basil very much in my cooking and I had no idea what I was going to send. If I did not find any interesting recipe with basil, I thought, there is always Basil Pizza. I googled for Italian basil recipes so that I can send it to both herb mania and AWED – Italiano. I also wanted an easy recipe that does not require lot of cheese. Nothing interested me and the search was of vain. I went to my recipes folder on my hard drive, where I have a lot of recipes that I saved, but never tried them out. I came across Tuscan mushrooms recipe and the picture of it was very tempting, in fact, that picture is more appetizing than mine here 😮 The recipe called for red bell peppers, olives, cheese and scallions for filling and basil for garnish. Initially, I was a little skeptical about it’s taste but decided to try it out anyway. When I tried and tasted it, it was better than what I had expected. If you are a mushroom lover like me, you will love it. I modified the recipe a little to my palate.
Source: Giada De Laurentiis from Food Network
Total Time: 30 minutes
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 20 minutes
Yields: 12 (depends on the size of the mushroom)
- 10 oz white small mushrooms peeled, stemmed and cleaned
- ¼ cup jarred roasted red bell peppers chopped
- ¼ pitted olive slices chopped (original recipe called for green olives)
- ¼ cup grated mexican blend cheese (I had this in my fridge)
- ¼ cup basil chopped
- 1 scallion chopped
- 2 green chilies seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In bowl mix all the ingredients except mushrooms.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place the mushrooms on the sheet with cavity side up.
- Fill each mushroom with the filling, about 1 tsp per mushroom.
- Bake it for 20 minutes until mushroom is cooked.
- Serve it hot.
- Don’t wash the mushroom. Wipe them with a paper towel to clean them. I washed mine and when i baked them, there was lot of water in the baking sheet.
- Use green olives, tuscan mushrooms will look colorful.