Panchmel dal is Indian dal prepared with five varieties of lentils or dals.
- 1 tbsp Toor Dal
- 1 tbsp Chana Dal
- 1 tbsp Moong Dal
- ½ tbsp Whole Moong
- ½ tbsp Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Oil
- 2-3 tsp Oil or Ghee for vegan use oil or vegan butter
- 3 small Green Chilies cut into 3 pieces each
- ¼ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Cardamons
- ⅛ tsp Asafoetida
- ½ tsp Coriander Powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- ¼ - ½ tsp Amchur Powder
- ¾ tsp Salt
- 1 cup Water
- Few drops Lime Juice as required
Wash dals and cook in instant with ½ - ¾ cup water and ½ tsp of oil.
Set settings to Manual/Pressure Cook, 10 minutes on high pressure and natural pressure release.
Open the lid, add salt, water and give a good stir.
Change IP settings to saute mode and bring dal to boil.
Meantime, in a frying pan heat ghee+oil for tempering.
Add cumin, cardamom, cloves and let the seeds sizzle.
Throw in green chilies and let the chilies change color.
Next go in the spices and powders.
Turn off the flame.
Final Touch to Dal
Immediately pour tempering in boil dal, mix and cover the dal.
Cancel the saute mode and let the dal sit for few minutes.
Mind you instant pot plate is still hot and dal will continue to simmer.
After 3 - 5 minutes, remove dal from the inner pot from IP. Make sure dal has reached the right consistency and if kept too long in IP, dal will thicken as the plate is still hot.
Add lime juice now or squeeze some just before serving.
Serve it with some dal or rice.
- This recipe uses equal parts of chana dal, toor dal, moong dal and, ½ part each of whole moong and urad dal.
- For a variation make it with onion, ginger, garlic and tomatoes.
- Use oil or vegan butter for a vegan recipe.