Instant Pot Sabudana Kheer ~ Tapioca Pearls Puddings
Carrot sabudana kheer is a quick, easy and yummy Indian dessert. Preparing it in Instant Pot is even more easier.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
- ¼ cup Sabudana ~ Tapioca Pearls soaked for ½ hour
- ¼ - ⅓ cup firmly packed grated Carrot
- 2 cup Nonfat Milk or Milk of choice
- ¼ cup Sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1 ½ - 2 tbsp blanched sliced Almonds , powdered
- ⅛ cup Cardamom Seeds , powdered
- 8 Roasted Cashews , optional
Wash and soak sabudana in water for ½ hour.
Meantime, peel and grate carrots. Use a fine grater blade.
Once sabudana is soaked for ½ hour, discard water and transfer sabudana to inner vessel of the Instant Pot.
Throw in grated carrot, milk and give a good stir.
Close the lid and cook on porridge mode for 5 minutes with vent sealed. In porridge mode, make sure the settings are on low mode and high pressure.
Depending on the quantity of food, it takes about 8-10 minutes to build up pressure and then the cooks for 5 minutes.
Let the pressure release naturally or after 15 minutes do a quick release.
Open the lid and give a good stir.
Add sugar, almond powder and mix well until sugar melts.
Check the consistency of the kheer, add more milk if necessary. If the kheer is too thin, cook for few minutes on saute mode for desired consistency. Mind you kheer thickens as it cools.
Turn off IP and immediately transfer to a serving bowl. Though the Instant pot is unplugged, kheer will continue to simmer as the plate of Instant pot is hot. Hence transfer immediately.
Serve kheer hot or chilled. Garnish with roasted cashews, which is optional.
- Stovetop Cooking - When cooking on stovetop, cook sabudana and carrots with some water until half cooked. Add milk and cook until soft. Add sugar, cardamom powder and simmer to required consistency.
- Carrots - For more more color, add ⅓ cup firmly grated carrots.
- Variation to Recipe - Roast carrots in some ghee and then follow the recipe.