Crunchy Sweet Corn Salad with Buttermilk Dressing
Crunchy sweet corn salad is a refreshing summer salad with fresh corn, cucumber and red bell pepper. Buttermilk dressing is tangy and blends well with crunchy vegetables.
- ½ small Onion or 1 Shallot thinly sliced
- 3 ears Fresh Sweet Corn kernels scraped off the cob with a knife (about 2 ⅔ cups of kernels)
- ½ medium sized Red Bell Pepper chopped (about ⅓ – ½ cup after chopping)
- 3 - 4 Mini Cucumbers quartered lengthwise and cut to ½” piece (I used 3, about 1 ¾ cup when cut. Can use 4 cucumbers.
- 1 tbsp minced Dill
- ¼ cup finely chopped Parsley or Cilantro
- Rinsed Crumbled Feta Cheese for garnish
- ¼ cup Buttermilk (I used ⅛ cup yogurt + ⅛ cup whey)
- ⅔ cup Yogurt whisked (check notes)
- 1 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 3 tbsp minced Yellow Onion
- 1 small Garlic minced
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Black to taste
Salt onion slices in ½ tsp. salt and keep aside for 20 minutes to remove the harshness of the onion. Rinse in water and pat dry on paper towel.
In large 1 ½ – 2 quart bowl toss the corn kernels lightly to separate the kernels.
Add sliced onions and rest of the salad ingredients and toss to combine. Chill until ready to serve.
In a smaller bowl whisk together buttermilk, yogurt, onion, garlic and vinegar.
Gradually add oil while whisking until well combined. Season with salt and pepper powder.
- Dressing was thick and I liked it this way. But if one prefers thinner dressing, use less yogurt and add a little water. Also, I substituted ⅛ cup yogurt + ⅛ cup whey for buttermilk. So the butter milk was slightly on thicker side. This too could have contributed to a thick dressing.