Cabbage Green Bell Pepper Sandwich
Seasoned cooked cabbage and green bell peppers are used as filling to prepare these delicious sandwiches.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Cooling Time 10 minutes
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 cup shredded or chopped Cabbage
- ¾ cup chopped Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Green Chili chopped
- ½ tsp Salt, adjust to taste
- 1 tbsp Mayonnaise or Cream Cheese
- Pinch of Mustard Powder or Dijon Mustard opt
- ⅛ tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 tbsp chopped Cilantro
- 4 Sandwich Bread Slices
Heat oil, add green chilies, cabbage, bell pepper and saute for a minute or two.
Sprinkle 3 - 4 tbsp of water, cover and cook on medium flame until cabbage is very soft.
Uncover and saute for few minutes to let moisture evaporate.
Let cabbage mixture cool.
Mix mayo, mustard powder, black pepper and cilantro.
Spread the stuffing on one slice of bread, cover with the second. Repeat the same with other two slices.
Trim the edges and cut in half. This is optional.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For hot sandwiches, grill sandwiches on a pan or in a sandwich maker and no need to trim the edges.
- You can steam cabbage and bell peppers instead of sauteing.
- Cook or steam cabbage and bell peppers a day before and store in the fridge. Mix rest of the ingredients just before making sandwiches.
- Use spices and herbs of your choice. Feel free to replace green chilies and mustard powder with black pepper, hot sauce and dijon mustard.
- For hot sandwiches, grill sandwiches in a pan or sandwich maker.
- Cream cheese is a good substitute for mayonnaise. I used Philadelphia cream cheese once. Feel free to use cream cheese of your choice. Thick yogurt or Greek yogurt is also a good substitute for mayo.