Spice Rubbed Grilled Chicken
Spice rubbed grilled chicken is seasoned with roasted Indian spice mix and grilled to perfection.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Marination 45 minutes
- 1.25 – 1.3 lbs Chicken Drumsticks or 5 – 6 Drumsticks
- 1/8 tsp Cardamom seeds or Seeds of one Cardamom
- 2 Cloves
- ¼ tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin
- 10 Black Peppercorns
- ¼ ” Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 2 - 3 Dry Chilies use 3 for very spicy chicken
- 1 tsp. Salt adjust to taste
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- Little Oil
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice or Juice of ½ a Lime
- PAM Cooking Oil Spray or Oil for basting
Dry roast all the dry ingredients except salt. Roast them for 2-3 minutes or until lightly roasted. Cool the spices and grind them to a fine powder.
In a big bowl, take the spice powder, salt, lime juice and little oil and mix it.
Wash the chicken and remove the skin. I have used drumsticks with and without skin. I usually remove the skin but with this chicken, I liked it even with the skin.
Make 3-5 gashes on each drumstick.
Add the drumsticks to the spice bowl and rub the spices to the chicken.
Let it marinate for at least 30 – 45 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator. If refrigerating the chicken, remove it from the fridge ½-1 hour before grilling to bring it to room temperature.
Place the rack of the oven in the middle and set the broiler to high.
Place the chicken drumsticks on a grill pan, spray PAM Cooking spray on the drumsticks and broil for 10 minutes.
Turn the chicken pieces, spray PAM cooking oil or baste the chicken with oil and broiler for another 10 minutes.
Turn the chicken pieces around and broil for another 2-5 minutes until chicken is fully cooked. I broiled it for 3 minutes.
Remove the chicken form the broiler, let the chicken rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Using an outdoor grill, according to the recipe, place the chicken directly over the coal and cook until skin is crisp, about 8 minutes. Flip the chicken and cook for another 6-8 minutes until there is no pink on the bone. I do not have an outdoor charcoal or gas grill do not know the cooking times. What I mentioned is according to the recipe and the recipe called for chicken thighs.
- I usually prefer small drumsticks for grilling. I buy a tray of drumsticks that weigh 1 – 1.3 lbs and has 5-6 pieces.