Zucchini Moong Dal
Zucchini moong dal is a quick and delicious side dish for rice and roti.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
- ¼ cup Moong Dal
- 1 Tomato chopped about ½ cup
- Few drops of Oil
- ½ small Onion diced
- 1 medium Zucchini diced 1 cup
- 4 tsp Oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 6 Curry Leaves
- 2 Red Chilies
- 1 tsp crushed Garlic
- ½ tsp Salt ¼ tsp Chili Powder
- Chopped Cilantro for garnish
Wash dal and pressure cook it along with tomatoes, few drops of oil and ¾ cups of water for 4 whistles or until dal is soft.
Once pressure releases naturally, add water onions, zucchini and boil until zucchini is cooked.
In a separate pan, heat oil, add mustard, cumin, curry leaves and red chilies. Let the seeds splutter and chilies change color.
Add crushed garlic and fry until light golden brown.
Add chili powder, turmeric and give a quick stir.
Pour the tempering over dal keeping aside a spoonful for garnish. Cover and let the dal simmer for few minutes. Give a good stir, simmer for few minutes if the dal is too thin.
Turn off the heat, transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with cilantro and remaining tempering.
- Green Chilies - If you like green chilies in dal as we do, use 2-3 small green chilies instead of red chilies and chili powder. Add slit chilies to tempering or pressure cook moong dal with green chilies.
- Lime Juice - Substitute tomato with 1 tbsp of lime juice. If using lime juice, add it just before pouring tadka over dal. You can use both tomatoes and lime juice, in which case use less lime juice and adjust it to your liking.