Apple Trifle Recipe
Apple trifle is an easy, no bake single serving dessert. A mess free dessert for parties and gatherings.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 2 Red Delicious Apples
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- ¼ cup Dark brown Sugar
- ½ Cinnamon Powder
- 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter
Custard (require only ½ – ¾ of this custard)
- 2 cups Milk I used 2% milk, use whole milk for rich custard
- 3 tbsp Custard Powder I used Bird’s custard powder. It is available in Indian and speciality stores
- 4 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- ⅛ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 sheets of Graham Crackers powdered
- Whipped Cream I used Reddi Wip
- 6 3 ½ – 3 ¾ oz Glasses
Wash, peel, core and chop apples into ¾ – 1” pieces.
Take chopped apples, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon powder and butter in a small saute pan. Mix together all the ingredients.
Cook apples for few minutes until sugar melts.
Reduce the flame to medium and continue cooking until sugar caramelizes and coats apple pieces. Sugar syrup should thicken and almost coat apples. This should take about 7-9 minutes.
Turn off the flame and let cool.
Take 1 ¾ cups of milk in a saucepan and bring to boil.
Meantime, take remaining ¼ cup milk in a small bowl, add custard powder, make a lump free paste and keep the paste aside.
Once milk comes to a boil, reduce the flame, add custard paste to boiled milk and stir constantly to make a smooth lump free custard.
Cook for a few more minutes until custard coats the back of the spoon.
Add vanilla extract and 3 tbsp of sugar.
Keep stirring until sugar melts and custard is thick. Keep in mind, custard thickens after cooling.
Turn of the flame, sprinkle remaining sugar on custard and keep aside to cool. Sugar will melt and prevent the custard from forming a thick layer on the surface.
Sprinkle about 1 tsp of graham cracker powder at the bottom of the glasses.
Add 1 ½ – 2 tsp of caramelized apples followed by 1 ½ – 2 tbsp of custard.
Add another layer of graham cracker powder, apples and custard.
Refrigerate the glasses until ready to serve. There should be some leftover graham cracker powder, keep it aside.
When ready to serve, top the glasses with some whipped cream and sprinkle some powdered graham crackers on top of whipped cream.
- To make the preparation even easier, use instant vanilla pudding mix however, I like the taste of cooked custard better.
- I like more custard than the fruit in my trifle and arranged the trifle to my liking. There is no hard rule on fruit to custard ratio and assemble trifle to your liking. I used little over 1 cup of custard for assembling apple trifle.