Amaranth Popcorn ~ Popped Amaranth
Amaranth is a powerhouse of nutrients. Amaranth popcorn is an easy snack to prepare in less than 10 minutes. Popped amaranth is a great add on to a lot of foods.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
Heat a heavy bottomed saucepan or a dutch oven until hot.
Sprinkle a few drops of water on the pan. If water forms bubbles right away, the pan is ready.
Reduce the heat to medium high. Depending on the thickness of the pan, reduce the flame to medium or medium high.
Sprinkle about a tablespoon of seeds on the pan and let the seeds puff.
Shake the pan for even popping of the seeds.
Take care not to burn the popped seeds and transfer as soon as pops reduce.
Repeat to pop all the seeds.
Run the popped seeds through the sieve to filter burnt or un-popped seeds.
Let the seeds cool completely and store in an airtight container.
- Use a high sided pan such as a dutch oven or a sauce pan else you will have popped seeds all over the cooking range.
- Heat pan to the right temperature. An easy test to determine this is to drop a few drops of water on a hot pan. If water forms bubbles right way, the pan is hot enough and ready to use.
- Shake the pan frequently so all the seeds are popped.
- You may have to discard the first couple of batches if the pan is too hot or not hot enough. In both the cases, seeds will burn. In the video if you closely observe, my pan is slightly burnt when popping the seeds. After the water test, I was busy adjusting the camera and forgot to reduce the flame. That resulted in an over heated pan and had to discard the first batch.
- Do not cover the pan. Since the seeds pop with in seconds, covering the pan is not necessary.