Ground Chicken Taco Salad
An easy salad to fix on weeknights or to take for potluck
- 1 lb Ground Chicken
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 Envelope Taco Seasoning I used hot and spicy taco seasoning
- 2 - 3 oz Baby Lettuce or Iceberg Lettuce approx. 2 cups broken lettuce leaves
- ⅓ big Red Onion sliced approx. ¾ cup when sliced
- 20 pitted Ripe Olives sliced or ⅓ – ½ cup sliced Ripe Black Olives
- 12 - 15 Grape Tomatoes cut into half approx. ¾ cup
- ¾ - 1 cup canned Red Kidney Beans
- ¾ cup finely grated Cheddar Cheese
- ½ cup Thousand ISland Salad Dressing
- ⅓ cup Salsa I used tostito mild salsa
- 2 tsp Taco Seasoning
Heat oil in a pan and saute ground chicken with one envelope of taco seasoning until chicken is cooked. I used a stainless steel pan and it took about 10 – 12 minutes to cook ground chicken. If using a nonstick pan, use less oil.
In a large bowl, toss lettuce, olives, tomatoes, onions, ground chicken and keep aside.
Mix together thousand island dressing, salsa and taco seasoning (listed below salsa).
Take salad in a serving bowl, sprinkle cheddar cheese and pour desired dressing over it and serve.
- I did not have a can of chopped green chilies and highly recommend using it.
- The original recipe called for lots of crushed tortilla chips. Husband did not want any and hence left it out. However, I added some crushed tostitos tortilla chips and liked the crunchiness it gave to the salad.
- Adjust veggies in the salad to one’s preference. I used less veggies and more ground chicken as that is how we prefer.
- I used Taco Seasoning to season ground chicken. A variation to this would be chili powder, garam masala and ginger garlic past
- I skipped 1-2 tsp. of sugar as we do not like too much sweet in savory food.
- One will not need all this dressing for this salad.