Romkugler ~ Danish Rum Ball
Romkugler is a classic no bake Danish dessert made with leftover cake and/or pastries, and is flavored with rum and cocoa.
Servings 12 pieces
- 200 grams Danish Pastry and/or Cake crumbs (1 cup each of palmier and hazelnut muffin crumbs)
- 1 tablespoon Raspberry Jam
- ⅓ cup Confectioners Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- 2 tablespoon melted Butter (check notes)
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 - 1 ½ teaspoon Rum Extract (I skipped)
- Chocolate Sprinkles or Coconut Flakes for garnish
Break pastry and crumble muffin.
In a food processor or a blender take all the ingredients except chocolate sprinkles and blend until everything mix well and comes together.
Taste the mixture and adjust sugar, cocoa and rum extract.
Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate for one hour.
Pinch out a small piece from the mixture and shape into a round ball.
Roll the ball in chocolate sprinkle and serve.
Keep rum balls refrigerate in a airtight container.
- Butter - Adjust depending on how greasy the crumb is. Start with 1 tablespoon and add more if necessary. When using only wafers/cookies might require additional 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Pastry - Cinnamon swirl or any Danish pastry works the best. Substitute for pastry is Nilla wafers are any cookie, however traditional romkugler is prepared with pastry and/or cake.
- Cake - Leftover cakes or muffins work the best. If there is any leftover cake or muffin, freeze and use later to prepare rum balls.