Aloo Paratha ~ Potato Stuffed Indian Flatbread
Aloo paratha is a spicy, flavorful potato stuffed flatbread, great for breakfast and lunches.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Boil Potatoes 20 minutes
Servings 1 person
- 1 medium sized Potato ~ Aloo boiled and mashed about ¾ cup
- ¼ cup chopped Onion
- 1 small Green Chili seeded and chopped
- 2 - 3 tbsp chopped Coriander
- ¼ tsp Chili Powder adjust to taste
- ¾ tsp Coriander Powder
- ¼ tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- ¼ tsp Amchoor Powder
- ⅛ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ - ¾ tsp Salt adjust to taste
- ½ cup Atta / Durum Wheat Flour
- Pinch of Salt
- ¼ cup Water will need a little less
- 1 tbsp of Oil or Butter or Ghee to cook paratha
Boil potato, cool, peel and mash it well.
Add all the ingredients listed under filling and mix well.
Taste and adjust spices to taste.
Take flour, pinch of salt in a wide bowl or a plate, mix together and make a pliable dough. You will need little less than ¼ cup of water.
Knead well and keep aside until ready to use.
Divide potato filling and dough to three parts.
Roll out dough into a small disc.
Place one part of potato filling in the middle of rolled dough and cover the stuffing with rolled dough.
Dust some flour on a flat surface and roll stuffed dough into a disc. Roll it as thin or thick as you like. Mine were a little thinner than I would prefer.
Heat a pan and cook paratha for a minute or two on medium flame, flip and cook for few more seconds until bottom browns.
Drizzle some oil or ghee around paratha and cook rotating it for evening cooking.
Flip again, drizzle some oil and cook rotating paratha until flipped side browns and cooked.
Remove from pan and place in a covered dish.
Repeat above steps to prepare other two parathas.
Serve hot with some yogurt and/or lime pickle.
- Adjust spices to taste and play around with the spices. For a variation try garam masala and chaat masala.
- I really stuffed my paratha well with aloo. If you prefer less stuffing, use less.