Poha Mixture is a savory Indian snack with flattened rice and peanuts.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
- 1 tbsp Oil
- ⅛ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ¼ tsp Cumin
- 1 Dry Red Chili
- 2 tbsp Peanuts
- 5-8 Curry Leaves
- 1 small Green Chili chopped
- ½ tsp crushed Garlic
- 1 ½ tbsp Roasted Gram ~ Putnalu
- ⅓ tsp Salt
- Dash of Turmeric Powder
- 2 cups Thin Poha
Heat oil in a wide pan or a wok and add mustard seeds, cumin, red chili and peanuts.
Roast for a minute or two until peanuts change color and are lightly roasted.
Add curry leaves, green chilies and let the chilies roast until the moisture from the chilies dries up. This is crucial else poha will not stay crisp for too long.
Throw in crushed garlic and fry until garlic turns light brown.
Add fried gram, salt, turmeric and toss for ½ a minute for fried grams to lightly roast.
Reduce the flame to low, add poha and toss for couple of minutes or longer until poha is crisp.
Turn off the heat and continue to toss for few more minutes.
Poha will become crispier from the heat of the pan.
Cool and store in an airtight container for days.
- Fry green chilies and curry leaves until all the moisture dries up. Else Poha won’t stay crisp for days.
- Peanut lovers can add another tbsp of peanuts.
- I always find it easier to add roasted peanuts just before adding poha than roasting peanuts in the tempering as mentioned in the recipe.
- Coconut slices, raisins and cashews are some of the add ins for the mixture. However, I personally prefer peanuts and fried gram.