Poha mixture is a crispy, savory Indian snack with flattened rice, peanuts and fried gram.
Poha is flattened rice and atukulu in Telugu. Atukula mixture is one of the easiest mixtures to prepare. Peanuts and fried gram are roasted along with curries leaves, chilies, cumin and mustard seeds, and then mixed with poha. It is a simple, quick & easy, under 10 minutes mixture and there are many versions of poha mixture varying from region to region. However, I prefer the basic version with peanuts and fried gram. A mixture of cashews, coconut slices, raisins and almonds are are a few add ins that one could add to the mixture.
Final elevenses recipe is poha aka atukula mixture. This mixture is great for tea time, after school snack and a good on to munch on, any time of the day. Elevenses is a mid morning refreshment break. Refreshments are either a drink or a snack that satiate hunger pangs until lunch time. The other recipes for elevenses are Fresh cranberry pecan brownies and mini cucumber sandwiches.
Poha Mixture or Atukula Mixture Recipe
Poha Mixture is a savory Indian snack with flattened rice and peanuts.
- 1 tbsp Oil
- ⅛ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ¼ tsp Cumin
- 1 Dry Red Chili
- 2 tbsp Peanuts
- 5-8 Curry Leaves
- 1 small Green Chili chopped
- ½ tsp crushed Garlic
- 1 ½ tbsp Roasted Gram ~ Putnalu
- ⅓ tsp Salt
- Dash of Turmeric Powder
- 2 cups Thin Poha
- Heat oil in a wide pan or a wok and add mustard seeds, cumin, red chili and peanuts.
- Roast for a minute or two until peanuts change color and are lightly roasted.
Add curry leaves, green chilies and let the chilies roast until the moisture from the chilies dries up. This is crucial else poha will not stay crisp for too long.
- Throw in crushed garlic and fry until garlic turns light brown.
- Add fried gram, salt, turmeric and toss for ½ a minute for fried grams to lightly roast.
Reduce the flame to low, add poha and toss for couple of minutes or longer until poha is crisp.
- Turn off the heat and continue to toss for few more minutes.
- Poha will become crispier from the heat of the pan.
- Cool and store in an airtight container for days.
- Fry green chilies and curry leaves until all the moisture dries up. Else Poha won’t stay crisp for days.
- Peanut lovers can add another tbsp of peanuts.
- I always find it easier to add roasted peanuts just before adding poha than roasting peanuts in the tempering as mentioned in the recipe.
- Coconut slices, raisins and cashews are some of the add ins for the mixture. However, I personally prefer peanuts and fried gram.