I had a very difficult time deciding on the third evening snack for this marathon. I had so many ideas and could not make up my mind. All day yesterday I was scratching my head and going back on forth on various snacks I had short listed. I even decided to take an easy way out and post the biscotti recipe I baked for Home Bakers Challenge that I am yet to post. This morning, I was not happy posting a recipe I made for another event and made this spicy puffed rice. This is a snack that can be prepared in a jiffy and perfect for an evening snack.
I like puffed rice and it is my favorite snack and comfort food. I can eat it in any form, for any meal. I usually make puffed rice upma as Mr.U also likes it a lot. But when I am the only one eating, I mix some onion, crushed garlic, chili powder, salt and oil to puffed rice to make a variation of jhal muri. But I also like bhel puri; an Indian street food and spiced puffed rice or kara pori that prepared today.
Spicy puffed rice is prepared by seasoning puffed rice with some spices. I used green chilies as I like to bit the chilies along with the puffed rice. I used peanuts here but can be substituted putnalu (fried chana dal) or can use both.
Preparation: 5 – 10 minutes
Serves: 2 – 3
- 1 tbsp. Oil
- 1/8 Mustard Seeds
- ¼ tsp. Cumin Seeds
- 5-6 Curry Leaves broken into 2-3 pieces
- 2-3 small Green Chilies slit lengthwise and cut into 3-4 pieces or desired size (3 green chilies is a bit spicy and I used 3)
- 1/3 cup Peanuts
- ¾ tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. crushed Garlic
- 1/8 tsp. Turmeric
- 4 cups Murmura / Puffed Rice
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin and mustard seeds.
- When the seeds pop, add curry leaves, green chilies, peanuts, little bit of salt and fry for 1 ½ – 2 minutes until peanuts are roasted.
- Add garlic, turmeric, remaining salt and sauté for few seconds. Watch out, garlic will burn very fast.
- Immediately add puffed rice and mix well until spices coat the puffed rice. Continue to fry for a minute until the puffed rice becomes crisp.
- Remove from fire and serve.
- If there is any leftovers, let the puffed rice cool completely and store in an air-tight container.
- Green chilies can be substituted with red dry chilies. I used 3 green chilies and it was spicy, exactly the way I like. For less spicy, use only 2 green chilies.
- Peanuts can be substituted with fried chana dal or putnalu. OR can use 1/2 peanuts and 1/2 putnalu.