Microwave Roasted Spicy Peanuts
I am doing a three day marathon with theme cooking with a given ingredient. When I signed up for this theme, I had tomatoes on mind but methi, corn and peanuts were the other ingredients from the list that I was considering. Corn is my favorite and grocery stores flooded with fresh corn, it was very tempting to do corn again. Since I cooked with that theme back in December, ruled it out for now. I wanted to cook with methi ~ fenugreek but all the recipes I had on mind were with fresh methi and served with rice. Past few days, in fact since past two weeks we cut down one our rice intake and did not want to cook any curries or rice items. Tomatoes were the easiest ingredient to cook with but again, I did not want to cook any curries or any food that needs to be served with rice or Indian breads. So it is cooking with peanuts for this week!
Today I have a quick and easy snack that can be whipped up in less than 5 minutes. It can be served as a snack or as a salad on days when one is in a mood for a light meal. Few days ago I ate a heavy breakfast and was not hungry until 2:30 or 3 in the evening. That was an odd time for lunch and wanted a filling snack. Peanuts are rich in fiber and it was quite a filling snack.
I roasted the peanuts in the microwave but can be roasted on stovetop as well. I used some oil to roast the peanuts but can also be dry roasted. If using a microwave, mind you temperatures vary from microwave to microwave.
Preparation: 5 minutes
- ½ cup Peanuts
- ¼ – ½ tsp. Oil
- ¼ – ½ tsp. crushed Garlic
- ½ tsp. Chili Powder (adjust to taste)
- ¼ tsp. Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/8 tsp. Chaat Masala
- 1 – 2 tbsp. chopped Onions (as per choice)
- Cilantro ~ Coriander Leaves for garnish
- Take peanuts in a microwave safe bowl and toss them with oil.
- Microwave for 1 minute, remove and toss the peanuts. Microwave for another 1 minute 30 seconds, tossing peanuts every 30 seconds to evenly roast the peanuts.
- When the peanuts are still hot, add rest of the ingredients except cilantro and mix well.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Blogging Marathon: Checkout what my fellow bloggers are doing this week on blogging marathon page.