This month Food of the World is in Norway. Norwegian cuisine is largely based on fish, game (hunted animals such as moose, reindeer, duck to name a few), preserved meats, dairy products and fruits. Waffles, pancakes and breads are staple food. Cardamon is a common spice used for flavoring. I did not have to do much research to pick a dish for this country. Lefse, a flat bread made with potatoes and flour was on my to try list for sometime. Lately, we have been eating lot of potatoes and drop the idea of making lefse for now. Julekake, Norwegian Christmas cake is also on my to bake list but put it off for later time. My next choice was pancakes followed my rice porridge or rice pudding. I ended up making rice porridge or risgrot.
Risengrynsgrot or Risgrot (shortened name) is a rice porridge traditionally prepared during Christmas Eve. The leftovers are then used to make rice pudding ~ Riskrem by adding some whipped cream, more sugar and red sauce. There are many recipes online for Norwegian rice porridge and there is no right or wrong way to prepare this porridge. Traditionally a small or medium grain rice is used and since I had none, I used Paella rice which is kind of short to medium grain. Short and medium grain rice is starchy and makes a creamy porridge. This porridge is not very sweet and I added more sugar to my taste. I referred to this site for information on Norwegian rice porridge.
Cooking Time: 40 – 45 minutes
Serves: 4 – 5
- ½ cup Paella Rice (can use medium grain or risotto rice)
- 1 cup Water
- 2 – 3 cups Milk (I used fat free milk though whole milk is recommended)
- ½ tsp. Vanilla Extract
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 1 ½ – 2 tbsp. Butter
- 2 – 4 tbsp. Sugar
- ⅛ – ¼ tsp. Cinnamon Powder or as needed
- Heat water in a thick bottom pan. Use 1:2 rice to water ratio.
- Add rice, give a stir, bring to a boil, reduce the flame to low, cover and cook until rice is almost cooked and water is evaporated.
- Add milk, vanilla extract or vanilla beans, stir and bring the milk to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, almost cover the pan keeping a small opening and cook until rice is fully cooked, stirring frequently. Milk tends to stick to the bottom of the pan and it is important to stir in between. Add more milk if needed.
- Add salt and sugar.
- To serve, take porridge in a serving bowl, sprinkle cinnamon powder and a small cube of butter on it.
- I used 2 cups of milk. Once the porridge cools, it will thicken and I ended up adding more milk when serving it at a later point. Depending on the rice, require more milk.
- To make rice pudding, add whipped cream and more sugar rice porridge. Top with a red sauce which is usually prepared with fruits or berries.
Please add your Norwegian recipes to the linky below and visit my co-host to see what they are cooking.
Please visit the co-host blogs and follow their sites!