Fiesta pinwheels are make ahead finger food and great appetizers to serve at parties. These make a filling lunch as well when served as a roll.
Table of contents
About the Recipe
Fiesta pinwheels are a quick and easy snack prepared in a jiffy and is also a make ahead food. Prepare Mexican flavored pinwheels by spreading a cream cheese spread on tortillas, roll and slice into pinwheels.
Fiesta pinwheels are a great snack for any day, for holiday entertaining, picnics and for game dat gatherings. Prepare pinwheels a day before the party and chill. These taste even better the next day. Consider these yummy pinwheels for your next party and you won’t be disappointed!
How to Prepare?
Prepare a cream cheese spread by mixing some sour cream, olives, scallions, salsa and seasoning. Spread flavored cream cheese on tortillas, roll it like a jelly roll, refrigerate for at least a couple of hours before slicing into pinwheels.
How to Serve?
Serve Fiesta pinwheels with some salsa or picante sauce. Serve these as starters when entertaining or as a snack. You can take these for road trips, picnics and pack in your lunch box. Sometimes I eat the rolls as it for lunch without refrigerating and slicing. These are rich, heavy and make a good filling meal as well.
Fiesta Pinwheel Recipe
Adapted from: Taste of Home
- ½ package or 4 oz Cream Cheese, softened (I used Philadelphia cream cheese)
- ¼ cup Sour Cream
- 2 tbsp. Picante Sauce I used mild salsa, check note below
- 1 tablespoon Taco Seasoning
- Dash of Garlic Powder
- 1 can 2.25 oz. sliced Ripe Olives, drained and chopped
- ½ can 2 oz. chopped Green Chilies, drained (approx. 2 tbsp)
- ½ cup finely shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Green Onions ~ Scallions finely chopped (approx. ¼ cup)
- 8 small Flour Tortillas
- Salsa to serve the pinwheels
- Microwave cream cheese for 15 – 20 seconds to soften it.
- In a bowl beat together cream cheese, sour cream, picante sauce (salsa), taco seasoning and garlic powder until smooth.
- Mix in olives, green chilies, cheddar cheese and scallions.
- Taste the spread and adjust seasoning. It is a bit on milder side to my taste. Check note below.
- Spread about 1 – 2 tablespoon of cheese spread on each tortilla and roll it up like a jelly-roll.
- Wrap in a plastic or saran wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight. I wrapped some of the rolls in aluminum foil and would recommend a plastic or saran wrap instead.
- Slice each roll into 1” pinwheel and serve with some salsa.
- I never tasted picante sauce and from what I have read online, salsa is a good substitute for picante sauce and vice versa. I used store bought mild salsa and would recommend hot salsa for spicy fiesta pinwheels.
- The spread is mildly spiced and would recommend adding some hot salsa or some paprika for spicy pinwheels. Again, the pinwheels taste good as it is but for some kick and a spicy flavor, adjust the spice level to taste.
- I used small tortillas and the original recipe called for 4 (10”) tortillas.
- Nutrition - Values are approximate.
Like the recipe? Pin It for later!
Signup to the newsletter to receive latest updates from MySpicyKitchen.
Priya Srinivasan says
wow, perfect finger food usha! Looks delicious!
Priya Kumar says
pin wheels came out so well. Perfect looks and must be delicious
Priya Suresh says
And those fiesta pinwheels are simply fabulous and highly irresistible, beautiful captures.
I love your updated clicks and the pinwheels are really tempting me .
Perfect for parties. I like it that they are very flexible to make as well.
This was one of the recipes I bookmarked from Taste of Home, I even bought the ingredients but didn't get a chance to make them. Your pinwheels look so yummy!! Perfect party food.
Mireille Roc (@ChefMireille) says
what a super quick and easy dish to put together - would be great for parties
Cute looking and attractive fiesta pinwheels.. Perfect party snack.
I was thinking of making these too. Yours look just like the original. Yumm
Priya Suresh says
Omg, wat an awesome and attractive fiesta pinwheels, my kids will definitely love to have this pinwheels.
Try these with some minor substitutions .. My kids would love this for any party 🙂
Ah you have got something I had shortlisted as well..your pinwheels are so inviting usha..good to have you back..
That is a wonderful pinwheel Usha. Looks so delicious.
Vaishali Sabnani says
Fantastic idea ! will definitely try them , I am sure they will be a great hit .
I love this idea! And the fact it is eaten cold would make it great in the lunch box.
Bookmarking this Usha!
I have this theme coming up too. Not sure what to pick. These pinwheels has come out very well.
I also choose those fiesta pinwheels but later opted out as I did not had the tortilla wraps and I was too lazy to cook them.The pinwheels looks very tempting and I like those cute forks that you brought from your last trip.
Sandhya Ramakrishnan says
I had made these pinwheels last Christmas for my husband's work party and it was such a hit. I also had kept it milder since there were many people eating it, but when making just for us, I make it a little more spicier. They are perfect for lunch boxes as well. Looks delicious!