Fiesta pinwheels are make ahead finger food and great appetizers to serve at parties. These make a filling lunch as well when served as a roll.
Fiesta pinwheels are a quick and easy snack prepared in a jiffy and is also a make ahead food. Prepare Mexican flavored pinwheels by spreading a cream cheese spread on tortillas, roll and slice into pinwheels.
Fiesta pinwheels are a great snack for any day, for holiday entertaining, picnics and for game dat gatherings. Prepare pinwheels a day before the party and chill. These taste even better the next day. Consider these yummy pinwheels for your next party and you won’t be disappointed!
How to Prepare Mexican Flavored Pinwheels?
Prepare a cream cheese spread by mixing some sour cream, olives, scallions, salsa and seasoning. Spread flavored cream cheese on tortillas, roll it like a jelly roll, refrigerate for at least a couple of hours before slicing into pinwheels.
How to Serve?
Serve Fiesta pinwheels with some salsa or picante sauce. Serve these as starters when entertaining or as a snack. You can take these for road trips, picnics and pack in your lunch box. Sometimes I eat the rolls as it for lunch without refrigerating and slicing. These are rich, heavy and make a good filling meal as well.
Fiesta Pinwheel Recipe
Adapted from: Taste of Home
- ½ package or 4 oz Cream Cheese, softened (I used Philadelphia cream cheese)
- ¼ cup Sour Cream
- 2 tablespoon Picante Sauce I used mild salsa, check note below
- 1 tablespoon Taco Seasoning
- Dash of Garlic Powder
- 1 can 2.25 oz. sliced Ripe Olives, drained and chopped
- ½ can 2 oz. chopped Green Chilies, drained (approx. 2 tablespoon)
- ½ cup finely shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Green Onions ~ Scallions finely chopped (approx. ¼ cup)
- 8 small Flour Tortillas
- Salsa to serve the pinwheels
- Microwave cream cheese for 15 – 20 seconds to soften it.
- In a bowl beat together cream cheese, sour cream, picante sauce (salsa), taco seasoning and garlic powder until smooth.
- Mix in olives, green chilies, cheddar cheese and scallions.
- Taste the spread and adjust seasoning. It is a bit on milder side to my taste. Check note below.
- Spread about 1 – 2 tablespoon of cheese spread on each tortilla and roll it up like a jelly-roll.
- Wrap in a plastic or saran wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight. I wrapped some of the rolls in aluminum foil and would recommend a plastic or saran wrap instead.
- Slice each roll into 1” pinwheel and serve with some salsa.
- I never tasted picante sauce and from what I have read online, salsa is a good substitute for picante sauce and vice versa. I used store bought mild salsa and would recommend hot salsa for spicy fiesta pinwheels.
- The spread is mildly spiced and would recommend adding some hot salsa or some paprika for spicy pinwheels. Again, the pinwheels taste good as it is but for some kick and a spicy flavor, adjust the spice level to taste.
- I used small tortillas and the original recipe called for 4 (10”) tortillas.
Like the recipe? Pin it.
This day in 2014: Flax Seed Peanuts Powder