Bread canapes are bite sized appetizers topped with mixed vegetable and cheese. With some ahead prep work, this finger food is ready in less than 30 minutes. A great hor d’oeuvre for vegetarians, and kids friendly, no mess starter.
What are Canapes?
Canapes are hor d’oeuvres that have a base, a spread and a topping. The base is a thin slice of bread, a cracker, puff pastry or a shell. Spread is butter, mayonnaise or fresh cheese. Topping is veggies, meats, seafood, fruits, mixture of nuts and chocolate. Canapes also have a garnish and it complements the topping/filling.
Canapes are both savory and sweet. My favorite base for canapes is puff shells and both savory and sweet filling works great with this base. An easy sweet version is chocolate canapes and, the savory ones are tomato canapes and ground turkey canapes.
Keeping this in mind, I came up with bread canapes where the preparation is similar to above canapes but the base is sandwich bread.
Baguette is usually used as a base and topping is cooked meat, seafood or vegetables with a garnish. However, today’s recipe is different from conventional bread canapes. Base is a sandwich bread, topping is mixed vegetables with cheese garnish. These are baked just until cheese melts.
- Base – white sandwich bread
- Spread – butter
- Topping/Filling – I use mashed potato, green beans and carrots. You can use vegetables of you choice. Cabbage, bell peppers, corn are some of the vegetables that work well in this recipe.
- Garnish (cheese) – Grated mozzarella is my preference but any grated cheese will do. In the images I used shredded cheese but recommended grated cheese.
How to make with SBS photos
Preparation is very easy and you can do all the prep work up to a day in advance. You can boil potatoes and prepare the filling before hand. Assemble and bake the canapes before serving.
- Boil and mash potato, chop the veggies and keep aside.
- In a pan heat oil, add onion, beans, carrots, green chilies, crushed or finely chopped garlic and saute for few minutes (# 1&2).
- Then add mashed potato and salt (3).
- Saute for few minutes until veggies are cooked.
- Add cilantro, give a quick stir, transfer to a bowl and let cool (#4 & 5).
- Trim the edges and butter the bread slices (#6).
- Cut each slice into 4 pieces (#7).
- Spread some vegetable filling on each bread piece/canape (#8).
- Transfer to a lined baking sheet, top the canapes with cheese (#9).
- Bake in a preheated oven until cheese melts.
Recommended bread for canapes is baguette. However, for some canapes like in this recipe, sandwich bread also works.
You can prepare the base, and the topping in advance. Assemble them before serving.
Detailed, Printable Recipe
Bread Canape Recipe
- Saute Pan
- Small Bowl
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper or Aluminum Foil
- Knife & Cutting Board
- ¼ cup mashed boiled Potato
- ¼ cup chopped Beans
- ¼ cup chopped Carrots
- ¼ cup chopped Onion
- 2 small chopped Green Chilies
- 2 Garlic Cloves, crushed or chopped
- 2-3 teaspoon Oil I used 3 teaspoon
- ¼ teaspoon Salt Adjust to taste
- 4 Bread Slices I used white bread
- 2 teaspoon Butter
- ½ cup grated Cheese I used mozzarella
- Boil potato and chop the vegetables.
- In a pan add onions, chilies, beans, carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add salt and mashed potato, mix and cook for another 3-5 minutes until beans & carrots are tender and potato is fried.
- You can prepare the above steps in advance and follow the below steps before serving.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with a parchment paper.
- Remove the crust and butter bread slices.
- Cut each bread slice into 4 square pieces.
- Spread ½ – ¾ teaspoon of vegetable mixture on the canapes.
- Place bread slices or canapes on a lined baking tray. Top them off with grated cheese.
- Bake in 350 F oven for 6-8 minutes or until the cheese melts on the canapes. If there is some excess cheese on the baking sheet, that should turn golden brown.
- Temperature of ovens vary. Hence check the canapes 6 minutes into baking and bake for another 2 minutes until cheese melts. Serve hot.
- Vegetables –Recipe calls for potato, bean and carrots for the spread. You can use bell peppers, corn, spring onions or any vegetable of your choice.
- Seasoning & Flavors – Recipes uses only green chilies for heat. I used amchur or dry mango powder for a tangy taste in the past. Use chaat masala for a different flavor. Use your imagination and play around with the spices for a different flavor.
- Pre-plan – Prepare the vegetable filling up to a day in advance and assemble canapes 20-30 minutes before serving.
Like the recipe? Pin It for later!
More Finger Food Ideas
Signup to the newsletter to receive latest updates from MySpicyKitchen.
This post was first published in Jan 2010. Post is republished with updated content.