Few years ago I saw Paula Dean prepare pigs in a blanket on one of the Food Network shows. Do not ask me why these are called pigs in a blanket! Sausages or links are rolled in dinner rolls dough and then baked. Those were tempting. I finally made those for dinner last night.
I used lit’l smokies and rolled them in store bought crescent dinner roll dough. Cocktail sausages can also be used and I chose lit’l smokies as these were made with a blend of pork, turkey and beef, unlike the cocktail sausages that were with beef. When using regular size hot dogs and links, cut into small pieces and make pigs in a blanket.
These are served with yellow mustard and make an excellent appetizer, finger food and awesome game day food.
Total Time: 27 – 30 minutes
Preparation: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 12 – 14 minutes
Yields: 24 – 26 pigs in a blanket
- 1 8oz can of Pillsbury Crescent Dinner Roll
- 1 14oz pack of Lit’l Smokies or Cocktail Sausages
- Yellow Mustard for Serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Open the can of dough, unroll the dough. Cut the dough into 8 triangles. The dough sheet will have the marking for 8 triangles.
- Cut each triangle into 3 smaller triangles, resulting in 24 smaller triangles. I cut couple of triangles into 4 pieces and got 26 smaller triangles.
- Take a sausage/link/hot dog and place it on the narrower end of the triangle and roll it towards the wider end. Repeat the same with remaining hot dogs/links.
- Place rolled links on an ungreased baking sheet, with the sealed end of the roll facing down.
- Bake for 12 – 14 minutes, turning the tray around half way into baking. I baked for 12 minutes until golden brown. I had some unused sausages with I baked in a separate bowl along with these rolls.
- Once the rolls are done, remove immediately from the baking sheet and serve with some yellow mustard or ketchup.
This day in 2013 - Baked Mathari ~ Baked Indian Crackers
Events: This is my today's post for Bake-a-thon 2014
Chef Mireille says
pigs in a blanket are the best party food ever
Sneha datar says
These were on my must do list. These are looking absolutely delicious, looking at them I feel like baking them immediately. Excellent.
Those pigs in blankets look super cute Usha.
Sounds very interesting Usha...
This mini hot dog rolls makes an excellent starter for a get together, kids will definitely love this.