Easy Lamb Taco Soup
Taco soup has all the ingredients that go into a taco but in a soup form. It is a hearty, comforting soup on cold days with basic pantry ingredients.
Sauce Pan or a Soup Pot
- 1 ½ tsp Olive Oil
- ½ medium Onion diced
- 3 Cloves of Garlic or 1 tbsp chopped Garlic
- ¼ lb lean Ground Lamb
- 1 10 oz can diced Tomato Jalapeno
- 1 ½ cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- ½ cup Water and more if needed
- 1 tsp Chili Powder used Indian chili powder as it is spicer
- ½ - 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- ¾ - 1 tsp Salt adjust to taste
- ⅛ tsp Taco Seasoning optional
- ½ cup canned Kidney Beans
- ½ cup Cannellini Beans
- ½ cup or ½ medium sized Green Bell Pepper chopped ½” cubes
- ½ - ¾ cup Corn Kernels
- 2 tbsp of chopped Cilantro
- Avocado slices
- Onions chopped
- Grated Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Tortilla chips or crumbled taco shells
- Lemon or Lime Wedges
Saute onion, garlic and then add ground meat.
Saute for few minutes and remove excess fat. . Nature’s Rancher lamb from WholeFoods is lean but still can remove some excess fat.
Add broth, water, a can of diced tomato & jalapeno, spices and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Add beans and continue to simmer for 5-10 minutes or until flavors blend in.
Add some water if the soup is very thick and simmer for few minutes.
Ladle soup into a bowl, garnish with avocado slices, sour cream and tortilla chips. . Cheese is also a good garnish which I left out.
- Protein - Use ground meat of your choice. Ground beef, pork, lamb, goat or chicken.
- Broth -If you do not have stock or broth handy, use water.
- Veg Protein - For vegetarian version, use any veg protein of your choice or add more beans. Though black beans is usually used in taco soup, red kidney beans is a good substitute. Add a combination of both as veg protein.