Lamb taco soup is a quick, easy, comforting wholesome soup. Use staple kitchen ingredients to prepare a delicious winter meal.
Theme for this week is warm soups and stews. With the temperatures all over the place this past week, in below freezing, warm soups were so comforting. One of the days it was easy lamb taco soup for lunch. The other two recipes for this theme are vegetable cannellini bean soup and easy shrimp noodle soup Chinese style.
This recipe is also available as a web story.
What is a Taco Soup?
It is a taco in soup form which has all the components of a taco. It is garnished with avocado, cheese, sour cream, onions and broken taco shells or tortilla chips. The seasoning for the soup is taco seasoning. Use a commercial taco seasoning or make it at home. Beef is the main source of protein along with beans and customize the protein to your dietary requirements.
The main ingredients for are tomatoes, protein (ground lamb/beef/chicken), beans, corn, broth, taco seasoning and onions.
- Tomatoes – canned tomatoes work the best in soups and diced tomato jalapeno eliminates the need to add in extra jalapenos. If you do not have that in handy, use a can of diced tomatoes or fresh tomatoes and 1 or 2 jalapeno to taste.
- Protein – Ground beef and chicken are most used protein in the soup but ground lamb or goat also works great. Use lean protein of your choice. Whole Foods has Nature’s Rancher brand grass fed ground lamb. The meat is lean, not smelly and these days I buy this a lot when I am out of goat meat that I get from Halal store in Queens.
- For vegetarians, use veg protein; beans, soya granules or any veg protein of choice.
- Beans – Black beans is used in tacos and taco soup. Since I was out of it, I used red kidney beans and cannellini beans.
- Corn – Few sweet corn kernels, fresh or frozen.
- Broth – use low sodium broth of your choice or homemade stock or bouillon cubes and water. You do not have any for those handy, use water.
- Taco Seasoning – Use store bought taco seasoning or make it at home. I use a blend of chili powder, paprika, oregano and cumin powder. Sometimes, to enhance the flavor of the soup I add a pinch of store bought taco seasoning along with the spices mentioned above.
- Garnish – sour cream, avocado, chopped onions, cheese and tortilla chips. Use a combination of the above garnishes or all of these.
How to Cook?
Preparation of taco soup is easy and it is faster to cook on a stovetop than in an Instant Pot. However, Instant Pot makes it easy as you need not baby sit the pot while it is cooking. Regardless, it is done in 20 minutes.
- Saute onions and ground meat.
- Add tomatoes, spices, broth or water and boil until tomatoes are soft.
- Throw in beans, corn kernels and simmer until flavors blend in.
- Transfer to a bowl and garnish.
- When cooking in an Instant Pot, cook for 2 minutes in manual mode, NPR or QR after 10-15 minutes, add beans corn and simmer for a few minutes.
Can you Freeze the Soup?
Yes, it freezes well in the freezer. Freeze in 16 oz mason jars which is about 1 serving or any freezer safe container. I prefer storing in serving size containers as it is easy to thaw and reheat. Need not worry about leftovers.
Detailed, Printable Recipe
Easy Lamb Taco Soup
- Sauce Pan or a Soup Pot
- Cutting Board
- 1 ½ teaspoon Olive Oil
- ½ medium Onion diced
- 3 Cloves of Garlic or 1 tablespoon chopped Garlic
- ¼ lb lean Ground Lamb
- 1 10 oz can diced Tomato Jalapeno
- 1 ½ cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- ½ cup Water and more if needed
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder used Indian chili powder as it is spicer
- ½ – 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- ¾ – 1 teaspoon Salt adjust to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon Taco Seasoning optional
- ½ cup canned Kidney Beans
- ½ cup Cannellini Beans
- ½ cup or ½ medium sized Green Bell Pepper chopped ½” cubes
- ½ – ¾ cup Corn Kernels
- 2 tablespoon of chopped Cilantro
- Avocado slices
- Onions chopped
- Grated Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Tortilla chips or crumbled taco shells
- Lemon or Lime Wedges
- Saute onion, garlic and then add ground meat.
- Saute for few minutes and remove excess fat. . Nature’s Rancher lamb from WholeFoods is lean but still can remove some excess fat.
- Add broth, water, a can of diced tomato & jalapeno, spices and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Add beans and continue to simmer for 5-10 minutes or until flavors blend in.
- Add some water if the soup is very thick and simmer for few minutes.
- Ladle soup into a bowl, garnish with avocado slices, sour cream and tortilla chips. . Cheese is also a good garnish which I left out.
- Protein – Use ground meat of your choice. Ground beef, pork, lamb, goat or chicken.
- Broth –If you do not have stock or broth handy, use water.
- Veg Protein – For vegetarian version, use any veg protein of your choice or add more beans. Though black beans is usually used in taco soup, red kidney beans is a good substitute. Add a combination of both as veg protein.
Like the recipe? Pin It for later!