Vegetable cannellini bean soup is a comforting warm soup on a cold winter day. With basic kitchen ingredients, a simple and easy soup to fix on busy weeknights.
Warm Winter Soup
Theme for this week is warm winter soups. On cold winter days you want to cook something warm and comforting, and soups fit the bill just perfectly. The second soup for the week is vegetable cannellini bean soup which is a tomato based soup, just like yesterday’s easy lamb taco soup.
Ingredients for veg cannellini bean soup
This is a versatile recipe and use ingredients that you have on hand.
- Tomatoes – base for the soup is tomatoes and canned tomatoes work the best.
- Vegetables – Use vegetables of your choice and addition of potatoes makes this a filling and a satiating soup. I used radish, carrots and frozen Italian beans. I prefer Italian beans to green beans as Italian beans hold their shape and taste good as well. Addition of some leafy vegetables is also a good idea.
- Seasoning – is a blend of basic spices and dry herbs such as black pepper, chili flakes, basil, oregano and parsley. If you do not have any of the dry herbs mentioned above, use whatever you have on hand.
- Liquid – I used bouillon and water but feel free to use broth or just water.
- Beans – I like cannellini beans but feel free to use any white beans of your choice.
Why use cannellini beans?
Cannellini beans are meatier and have earthly flavor compared to other white beans and I prefer cannellini beans to any other white beans in soups.
How to prepare the soup?
This soup is easy to prepare. Prepare it on stovetop or in Instant Pot. Though I made it in Instant Pot, it really doesn’t require a pressure cooker unless you want to dump everything in the cooker and forget about it.
- Saute onions, ginger garlic paste and vegetables.
- Add tomatoes, spices, water/broth and cook until the tomatoes are mushy and vegetables are soft.
- Add beans and simmer.
- Serve with your favorite bread on the side.
How to store leftovers?
Soup stays good for at least 5 days in the refrigerator and also freezes well. If freezing, freeze in single serving containers as it is easy to thaw and reheat. Need not worry about storing leftovers. When freezing, mind you soup has potatoes do not freeze that well. However, I did freeze the soup and felt potatoes were soft perhaps due to defrosting the microwave.
Vegetable Cannellini Soup Recipe
Vegetable cannellini bean soup is a quick and easy soup to prepare with basic kitchen ingredients on a busy weeknight.
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 small Onion diced
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste or chopped ginger and garlic
- ½ cup Potato pieces ½” cubes
- 2 Radish or ¼ cup diced
- ¼ cup frozen cut Italian Beans cut each piece into half
- ½ cup diced Carrot
- 1 14.5 oz can Diced Tomatoes
- 2 cups Water + 1 cube Bouillon or 2 cups Broth and more as needed
- ⅓ cup canned Cannellini Beans
- ½ tsp dry Oregano
- ½ tsp dry Basil
- ½ tsp dry Parsley
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper Powder to taste
- ¼ tsp Chili Flakes or to taste
- ¾ tsp Salt or to taste
Wash, peel and cut potatoes, radishes and carrots to required sizes. If pressure cooking, keep the pieces big as you do not want very soft vegetables.
Power Instant Pot (IP) and select saute mode.
Heat oil and saute onions and ginger garlic paste, followed by vegetables.
Add canned tomato, water and 1 cube of chicken bouillon or broth, spices and seasoning. Stir well.
Cancel saute mode, close IP lid, vent in seal position and select pressure cook/manual mode.
Pressure cook for 2 minutes. Let pressure release naturally or do a quick release after 10 minutes.
Add cannellini beans, water if need and simmer the soup for few minutes on saute mode until soup is done.
Heat oil in a sauce pan and saute onions, ginger garlic paste for few seconds and then saute vegetables.
Add tomatoes, seasoning, water/broth, mix well, cover and cook until tomatoes are mushy and potatoes are tender.
Add beans, more water depending on the consistency of the soup and simmer for 5 minutes or until soup is ready.
Ladle into a bowl and serve hot with your favorite bread. I served with pan toasted sandwich bread.
Sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese (I didn't use & if vegan use, vegan cheese) on top and sprinkle chili flakes for more heat.
- Instant Pot Cooking – When cooking in a pressure cooker or IP, cut vegetables into ¾ – 1” pieces. You can add carrots along with the vegetables as I did but for more crunchy carrots, add them along with cannellini beans.
Like the recipe? Pin It for later!
Check out the Blogging Marathon page to see what other Blogging Marathoners are doing this BM#106