Ground chicken taco salad is an easy salad for weeknight dinners and a great one to take to potlucks.
Theme for this week's blogging marathon is Salads. The first recipe is taco salad. Since I avoid cooking beef at home, it is ground chicken taco salad.
This salad was our dinner early this week. I adapted Taste of Home recipe. Mr U did not want any taco chips in his salad, I ran out of canned chopped green chilies and, used less veggies and more ground chicken to our liking.
The salad was ok and was in two minds if to post it or not. The salad dressing was a bit sweet to my taste and wished I had used at least some chopped fresh green chilies to spice it up. However, husband liked the salad. He said since salad had more chicken and less veggies, it tasted fine and will eat it again. That is a good enough feedback to post the recipe here.
Ground Chicken Taco Salad
- 1 lb Ground Chicken
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 Envelope Taco Seasoning I used hot and spicy taco seasoning
- 2 - 3 oz Baby Lettuce or Iceberg Lettuce approx. 2 cups broken lettuce leaves
- ⅓ big Red Onion sliced approx. ¾ cup when sliced
- 20 pitted Ripe Olives sliced or ⅓ – ½ cup sliced Ripe Black Olives
- 12 - 15 Grape Tomatoes cut into half approx. ¾ cup
- ¾ - 1 cup canned Red Kidney Beans
- ¾ cup finely grated Cheddar Cheese
- ½ cup Thousand ISland Salad Dressing
- ⅓ cup Salsa I used tostito mild salsa
- 2 teaspoon Taco Seasoning
- Heat oil in a pan and saute ground chicken with one envelope of taco seasoning until chicken is cooked. I used a stainless steel pan and it took about 10 – 12 minutes to cook ground chicken. If using a nonstick pan, use less oil.
- In a large bowl, toss lettuce, olives, tomatoes, onions, ground chicken and keep aside.
- Mix together thousand island dressing, salsa and taco seasoning (listed below salsa).
- Take salad in a serving bowl, sprinkle cheddar cheese and pour desired dressing over it and serve.
- I did not have a can of chopped green chilies and highly recommend using it.
- The original recipe called for lots of crushed tortilla chips. Husband did not want any and hence left it out. However, I added some crushed tostitos tortilla chips and liked the crunchiness it gave to the salad.
- Adjust veggies in the salad to one’s preference. I used less veggies and more ground chicken as that is how we prefer.
- I used Taco Seasoning to season ground chicken. A variation to this would be chili powder, garam masala and ginger garlic past
- I skipped 1-2 tsp. of sugar as we do not like too much sweet in savory food.
- One will not need all this dressing for this salad.
Like the recipe? Pin It for later!
Signup to the newsletter to receive latest updates from MySpicyKitchen.
Fantastic looking Salad Usha..love how colourful that bowl looks!
Mireille Roc (@ChefMireille) says
what a healthy and hearty bowl---looks so good
Sandhya Ramakrishnan says
I am not sure how sweet this was, but i like a little sweetness in my salad. Love that vibrant bowl of salad!
I thought the dressing was a little sweet too. But it slowly grew on me.
Adding ground chicken to the salad makes it filling and a complete meal.
Chicken salad looks soo delicious and colorful.
Priya Suresh says
Wat a beautiful bowl of colourful salad, i can finish this salad rite now.
Salad looks so colourful..
Love the colorful ground chicken salad. I can just sit here eat a bowl right now:)
Yummy salad and beautiful pic.
I don't know about the taste, but it looks really good. Amazing pictures!
Colourful looking salad and your clicks make it more colourful and catchy.
This looks amazing. Thinking about substituting tofu for chicken. Great salad.
Very inviting bowl of salad.Looks delicious.Love your clicks so bright and airy.