Roasted broccoli salad with hemp seeds tossed in mayo sour cream dressing is a delicious healthy side dish.
Broccoli is a powerhouse of nutrients and a superfood. It is loaded with fiber, antioxidants, iron, vitamin C , K, calcium, to name a few. Hence roasted broccoli salad is healthy delicious side dish.
Iron Rich Food
Broccoli is rich in non-heme iron which is not easily absorbed by the human body. Hence it is usually recommended to consume non-heme iron with vitamin C rich food. Broccoli is rich in Vit C as well making non-heme easily absorbed.
How to Cook?
Though broccoli is rich in nutrients and has many health benefits, it is not a likeable vegetables. The key to a tasty broccoli is to cook it until just tender and season it well. One of my favorite ways to consume broccoli is to either steam or grill it and then season it with spices.
All you need is broccoli florets, oil, mayo dressing, onion and hemp seeds. I used pre washed broccoli florets from Whole Foods.
Ingredients for Mayo Sour Cream Dressing
Mayonnaise, sour cream, dijon mustard, pepper and salt. To go easy on calories, use light mayo and light sour cream. Whisk together all the ingredients and toss over the salad.
Grill broccoli florets either on the stovetop or on the grill/oven and toss it with one of your favorite vinaigrettes for salad dressing. For this healthy salad, grill broccoli on a stovetop grill pan and toss it in a mayonnaise sour cream dressing. Sprinkle some hemp seeds for some extra crunch, and for some extra nutrients!
How to Roast Broccoli
Cut broccoli into small florets, toss it in some oil or spray some cooking oil and roast broccoli in the oven or on a grill or on a stovetop. When roasting a large batch, oven is the best and when roasting small quantities like in this recipe, stovetop grill pan is the best. It is faster and need not fire up the oven for such a small quantity of broccoli.
For roasting in the oven as I did for roasted broccoli with chili vinaigrette recipe, preheat the oven to 425 F and bake broccoli for 20 minutes, turning around once in between.
Detailed, Printable Recipe
Roasted Broccoli Salad
- Grill pan
- Couple of bowls
- 2 – 2 ½ cups Broccoli Florets
- ¾ – 1 tsp Oil
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Red Onion slices
- 1 tsp Hemp Seeds
Dressing (you will need only half the recipe)
- 1 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Sour Cream
- 4 drops Dijon Mustard
- Dash of Black Pepper Powder
- Dash of Salt
- Cut broccoli into small florets. I used pre washed cut broccoli florets.
- Toss it with oil and salt or spray cooking oil. Salt is optional here.
- Heat a stovetop grill pan and spread the florets. Grill/cook on medium high flame for 10 minutes or until broccoli is charred and cooked. Turn the florets couple of times in between.
- To roast in oven, preheat the oven to 425, spread broccoli on a lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, turning once in between.
- Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
Mayo Sour Cream Dressing
- Take all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. You won’t need all of the dressing.
- Add sliced onions to roast broccoli, add ½ the dressing and toss well.
- Sprinkle hemp seeds and serve. Keep the remaining dressing on the side and in case you or the guests want more dressing.
- Bacon is a nice add on to the salad. Cook bacon, chop into small pieces and toss it along with broccoli.
- Nuts – Use seeds and nuts of your choice. Sliced almonds, pinenuts, sunflower seeds are a good substitute for hemp seeds.
- Dressing – You will need only ½ the dressing mentioned above. Keep the remaining dressing on the side let people add more if anyone needs more.
- Cheese – Feel free to throw in some grated cheese. I am not a big fan of cheese and left it out.
- Calories – Calories mentioned above is an approximate calculation.